Chapter 24

Duskpaw followed Blackpaw through the forest, worried out of his mind for Starlingpaw. There's drops of blood with her scent trail... What happened?

He was looking around the forest, looking for any indicators of Starlingpaw's presence other than her scent. No fur or anything, just blood.

The thought of Starlingpaw's dead body with blood all over it irked Duskpaw, which drove his paws faster, and he eventually passed Blackpaw, his head forward and ears pinned.

Goldenpaw was in front of him; it amazed Duskpaw that Goldenpaw could operate so well, running so fast even though she was blind. A spark of admiration popped up inside of his chest for the young blind apprentice, but he stayed focused on the task at hand.

Then, Duskpaw saw something. A shape in the distance, running slowly. Duskpaw and Blackpaw gasped, and Goldenpaw stopped and swiveled her head around to glare at them.

"If it's not Starlingpaw, I'll rip your ears off." she growled.

Blackpaw raced past her Goldenpaw at full speed, surprising her. Duskpaw nudged Goldenpaw. "I think it is! I see gray fur–and a lot of blood." he gasped. Goldenpaw widened her eyes, then began dashing after Blackpaw. Duskpaw ran after her, just behind her tail.

Duskpaw raced forward, passing Goldenpaw. The she-cat sped up, passing Duskpaw again.

"Starlingpaw! STARLINGPAW!" Goldenpaw yelled.

The cat didn't stop moving, just kept on running. Goldenpaw threw a curse at them before speeding up even more.

Duskpaw sped up again, his paws beginning to ache. His muscles hurt from all the running, but he kept going. He had to get to Starlingpaw, no matter what.

Finally, Goldenpaw caught up to Starlingpaw, ramming into her sister's side and knocking Starlingpaw over. Starlingpaw scrambled up, panic in her eyes. She looked around at who was there, then flopped down on the ground, seemingly relieved.

Goldenpaw ran up to Starlingpaw, distress flashing in her cloudy blue eyes.

"Starlingpaw! Starlingpaw, are you okay? What happened? Why are you so bloody?" she asked.

Starlingpaw just stared at Goldenpaw, staring intently at the golden she-cat's lips. She didn't seem to know what Goldenpaw was saying.

Goldenpaw batted Starlingpaw in the muzzle with her paw. "Starlingpaw!! For the love of Starclan, answer me you mouse-brain!" she hissed.

Starlingpaw again didn't respond, and continued staring at Goldenpaw with an aloof expression. Goldenpaw groaned. "Starlingpaw, are you mad at me? Please just tell me what's wrong!" she pressed. Starlingpaw sighed. "Goldenpaw, I have no idea what you're saying. I can't hear, mouse-brain."

Goldenpaw raised an eyebrow. "You... can't hear?"

Then without a word, Starlingpaw collapsed on the ground, blood still dripping from a now very clear long scratch from her ear all the way down to mid-way through her torso.

Goldenpaw gasped. "Starlingpaw! Argh, dang it!" She shook her sister, trying to wake the gray she-cat up.

Duskpaw looked over at Blackpaw, and the black tom seemed just as horrified as Duskpaw did, his yellow eyes filled with fear.

Goldenpaw faced the two toms as though she could see them perfectly. "Hey! You two! Blackpaw, get cobwebs! Duskpaw, get some wet moss! And be quick about it!" she ordered.

Duskpaw didn't like taking orders from a blind apprentice barely older than himself, but he complied knowing that a cat's life was on the line.

He darted away from the horrific scene, his heart pounding so hard he could barely hear his own thoughts. He didn't know what he'd do with himself if Starlingpaw died, he had to move as fast as he could. His muscles were screaming with pain, and every single step hurt like crazy. But he could stop now.