Chapter 16

Skystar creeped through the forest. Night had fallen, and Skystar was looking for his half-brother. He caught a whiff of Speckledstones and Emberheart's scents, and decided to follow them. He was worried that the two might have already become mates. What if I have to exile them? He thought, fear for the future clawing at his stomach.

Nevertheless, he continued following their scent trails, growing more and more nervous as they grew stronger.

"Speckledstones, what if we get caught? We'd get exiled for sure..."

Skystar heard a voice, just behind the bush he was about to go around.

"Emberheart, it's fine. I make extra sure every single time that no one is following us, and I always make sure our scent trails are as unnoticeable as possible."

So it is them. Skystar thought, dread creeping up inside of him. Maybe they're just friends...! He tried to reassure himself, but no matter what he tried to think, there was no way that the two weren't mates.

Reluctantly, Skystar popped out from behind the bush that he was hiding behind and confronted the two. They were facing the barn, and didn't notice Skystar behind them. "You both know this is against the warrior code, right?" he sighed. Speckledstones swiveled his head around, horror flooding his gaze at the realization that he and Emberheart had been caught. Emberheart's expression reflected what Speckledstones was feeling as well. Skystar shook his head sadly. "This is so complicated, I think my head will explode..." he mewed, his voice no more than a whisper.

Emberheart looked terrified at the thought of what would happen due to her breaking the warrior code. Skystar sighed.

"I'll let you two stay in Windclan." He mewed hesitantly. Relief overflowed Speckledstones and Emberheart's gazes, and Emberheart immediately dipped her head gratefully. "Thank you so much, Sky-" "As long as you two forget that you even had feelings for each other." Skystar interrupted Emberheart.

Skystar looked up at Speckledstones, and he saw rage fill up Speckledstones' glare, so intense Skystar thought it'd knock him over. Speckledstones stepped protectively in front of Emberheart. "I'd rather be exiled than give up the love of my life!" he spat. Skystar returned Speckledstones' harsh glare, offended that Speckledstones would give up his position as deputy and take Emberheart away from her position as medicine cat just to be mates with her.

Skystar shook his head. "No more arguments. I'm going back to camp. Go to the barn if you wish to leave Windclan. If you decide to stay, we will never speak of the love between you two ever again." he mewed coldly.

Speckledstones hesitated, clearly considering the weight of the decision he was going to make. Speckledstones rushed in front of Skystar, his eyes almost yowling with pleading. "Please, Skystar! Let us be mates and still live in Windclan. Emberheart can just... pretend that our kits belong to another queen! Please, just let us still be together." he pleaded. Skystar shook his head. "Even if I allowed you two to be together, Emberheart not being pregnant is hard to fake. Rainbowpaw would have to find out if Emberheart bore kits, and Starclan knows how reliable that apprentice is."

Emberheart looked offended that Skystar would talk about her apprentice that way, but said nothing. Skystar avoided the two mates' gazes, and began walking back to camp. I never thought it would come to this... He thought despairingly. Would he really have to exile Emberheart and Speckledstones?

As Skystar padded into camp, he noticed that there was a large cluster in the middle of camp, it seemed that his clan was gawking at something. Or... someone? The clan leader walked closer, shooing his clanmates out of the way to get to the middle of the cluster.