Chapter 13

So sorry for the delay! Last week got a little busy, and I wasn't able to upload. So a day early, you get two new chapters. Again, apologies for taking so long!

Skystar padded through the camp, his tail twitching nervously. It had been only a day since Skystar imprisoned Whiteclaw, his former deputy, and made Speckledstones the new deputy. He shuddered as he recalled the awful memory of Emberheart's random sickness, and Skystar's suspicions that Whiteclaw had been the one behind it.

"I want... Tigerjump, Honeypaw, Waspstrike, Mousepaw, and Leaffire to go on a border patrol."

Skystar turned around to see Speckledstones at the bottom of the Tall Rock, giving orders to his clanmates to go on a hunting patrol. He noticed how in control Speckledstones seemed, how calm and collected he was as the deputy of Windclan. Skystar felt warmed to the heart that he'd chosen such a great and reliable deputy for Windclan.

He looked at the spare den in which Whiteclaw was being kept in. He wanted to claw his former deputy's ears off for her treachery, but he knew he shouldn't.

He glanced around camp. Bluekit and Harekit were involved in a play-fight with one another. Badgerkit, Bramblekit, and Sunkit were all talking with each other. Skystar noted that the three had always been somewhat more mature than Bluekit and Harekit, however they were kits nonetheless and Skystar almost always saw them play-fighting with each other as well. Deadfang and his apprentice, Oakpaw, were leaving camp with Nettleclaw and her apprentice, Hollypaw to go train. Dawnpelt and Noonfeather were sunning next to the elder's den, and Crowsong was sleeping in the elder's den.

Speckledstones walked up to Skystar. "Hey, Skystar!" he called. Skystar faced him. "What's up?" he asked the deputy. Speckledstones' eyes were clouded with worry.

"I'm doing a good job as a deputy, right?" he asked Skystar.

Skystar nodded. "You're doing great, Speckledstones." he reassured his half-brother. Speckledstones seemed to brighten. "Alright, good! It's really stressful, especially since I've been a rogue my whole life." he remarked. Skystar flicked his tail. "You're good at this, alright? Don't doubt yourself." he told Speckledstones. Speckledstones nodded. "Well, have a good day!" he told Skystar.

Skystar sighed. Speckledstones is a great deputy, but he doesn't have that much confidence in his own leadership. He thought. Skystar padded up to the spare den that Whiteclaw stayed in, almost tripping over Bluekit and Harekit in their play-fight. He nodded at Hawkfire, who was guarding Whiteclaw's prison. He flicked his tail toward the freshkill pile. "I've got this. You can go now, Hawkfire." Skystar told him. Hawkfire dipped his head gratefully toward the leader, then strode off to the freshkill pile.

"What do you want?" Whiteclaw asked scornfully.

Skystar sighed. "I'm here to interrogate you." he told his former deputy. Whiteclaw scowled. "What? About poisoning Emberheart?" she spat. Skystar threw his face only a mouse-length from hers. "You did it, didn't you?!" he growled at her. Whiteclaw pulled away, standing up. "And what if I did?!" she growled back. "Are you gonna exile me? Kill me?" her voice was edged with hate. Skystar returned her glare. "Do you admit you did it?" he asked her, his voice steady but harsh. Whiteclaw relaxed, and sat down comfortably.

"Yes, I did." she admitted.

Skystar's eyes widened. "You admit to poisoning her?" he asked Whiteclaw. Whiteclaw sighed. "Yup, I literally just said that." she growled. Skystar calmed himself down, even though his heart was beating so loud he thought the whole of Windclan would hear it. "Well then..." he trailed off, trying to find a punishment for her actions. "You will be exiled from Windclan." he decided. "The attempted murder of one of your clanmates is bad enough, however on your leader and medicine cat is simply unforgivable." he told her. Whiteclaw nodded, acceptance and bitterness battling each other in her eyes.