Chapter 20

Starlingpaw looked around. The ground underneath her paws was a dusty black and uncomfortably spongy. There were trees everywhere, but they were the same dusty black as the ground. Every bush was exactly the same, and Starlingpaw thought she was lost. Looking up, she saw the Silverpelt was gone. There didn't seem to be any Starclan here. Terror gripped her heart, but she kept walking along the path, a bright light just ahead.

Padding along the path, she shivered. She felt paranoid, like she was being watched. She threw a glance over her shoulder, however she saw nothing, just the dark forest. She shuddered. The feeling didn't go away, but she just sighed and kept walking.

After walking for a bit, Starlingpaw felt like she would never get out of this place. No matter how much I walk, the light is so far away... she thought despairingly.

Just then, a shadowy figure jumped out of the bushes, ramming into her side and toppling her over. Before she had a chance to react, it jumped on top of her, baring its fangs. Pain seared her shoulders as the attacker dug its claws into her flesh. She looked up to try and identify the figure, but she couldn't. Their entire pelt was pitch black, and almost foggy. The most chilling part was its bright white eyes. The shadow stared at her, almost like they were glaring right through her soul.

Another shadow figure appeared from the bushes, and then another one. Another one after that, and eventually there were so many that she couldn't keep track. Their claws were unsheathed, and they were baring their fangs. Each one of their teeth was dripping with blood, like they just finished brutally murdering someone. Horror welled up inside of Starlingpaw. Starclan help me! She thought, scared for her life.

Then, as if to answer her plea, another cat emerged from the darkness. Their fur was dirty orange with chestnut stripes, and their eyes were as blue as a river, they seemed to glow brighter than the sun. Jumping out of the bushes, they darted to Starlingpaw's aid, ramming into the side of her attacker.

Starlingpaw, though she was dazed, quickly got up. She looked around at the shadowy figures, and even though she was terrified of them, she ran to fight them, swinging her paws at the cats.

"Starlingpaw!"

Starlingpaw froze. She heard someone calling her name. She looked around for the cat that had helped her, however when she tried to find them, they were gone. All those phantom warriors evaporated, like they were never there to begin with.

"Starlingpaw, get up!"

Starlingpaw shot up, her chest heaving. She looked around. She was still in the apprentices' den. All the other apprentices were sleeping except for Goldenpaw and Littlepaw. Starlingpaw looked up at Goldenpaw. "U-uh... good morning?" she mumbled awkwardly. Goldenpaw sighed. "You were kicking and swiping at me and Littlepaw. Can't a cat get some sleep around here?" she criticized Starlingpaw. Starlingpaw chuckled. "Sorry about that, it was a nightmare." she sighed. Goldenpaw gave Starlingpaw one more exasperated look before returning to her nest to go back to sleep. Littlepaw did the same. Starlingpaw looked out the den. Moonlight filtered through the brambles that the den was made out of. Starlingpaw sighed quietly. Maybe I could go out and explore... I mean, I'll be back by sunrise. It's probably fine. She thought.

Making sure not to disturb the other apprentices, Starlingpaw got up and left the den. Luckily, her nest was next to the entrance, so she was able to easily get out without having to worry about tripping over any of her friends.

After exiting the den, she very carefully snuck over to the entrance to the camp. To her dismay, Lightnose and Tigerleap were guarding the camp. As an apprentice, it would be much harder to just walk out of camp without the two warriors sending her back to her den to sleep. Thinking of another plan, she remembered the hole in the apprentice's den that led out of camp. It was hard to reach, but it was her only way out.