Chapter 22

Cherry sat on the barn fence, looking over the moorland. I wonder if Speckledstones and Emberheart will be allowed to go to Windclan. She pondered. Yesterday, Speckledstones had come back to the barn, quivering with excitement like he'd burst open at any second. I'm surprised he's even alive with how much he was shaking. She thought, amused.

Cinder appeared right next to Cherry, then Taurus on Cherry's other side. Misty jumped up right next to Cinder as well.

Cherry leaned her head into Taurus' shoulder, his thick pelt warming her. Taurus in turn rested his head on Cherry's head, and the two just sat there, staring at the open moorland.

Speckledstones and Emberheart appeared over the horizon, padding slowly toward the barn. Cherry couldn't make out their facial expressions, however their heads and tails were hung low, and they looked like they could barely walk without tripping.

Without a word, Cherry lightly hopped off the fence and ran over to Speckledstones and Emberheart. Upon closer inspection, Cherry confirmed that Speckledstones and Emberheart looked sadder than a queen who's kit just died. Judging by their expressions, they couldn't have had any good news to share. Her heart sank as she saw their pitiful gazes, and how small even Speckledstones looked as they huddled beside each other, hobbling toward the barn.

Cherry stopped them. "So, you're staying in exile?" she guessed. Emberheart nodded. "Now..." she choked, "Rainbowpaw might never truly be a full medicine cat." she breathed. Cherry sighed. "Windclan doesn't know what they're missing out on. Plus, didn't Skystar tell you guys that Starclan would probably be able to give her a full medicine cat name anyways? What's the big deal?" she pressed. Emberheart sighed. "The half moon meeting is in two days. We'll find out eventually." Emberheart conceded. Cherry nodded. "Then, let's leave it to the higher ups. Whoever Starclan is, they should have it sorted out." she reassured Emberheart. The she-cat nodded her thanks to Cherry and continued toward the barn.

Cherry sighed. At least Skystar tried to make it work... I guess the clan just really dislikes Speckledstones. She thought angrily. I'm sure if he wasn't in the picture, the clan would be eager to let Emberheart back in. Why is everyone so unfair! Frustration welled up inside her.

Cherry turned back to the barn. Taurus was still sitting on the white fence surrounding the barn, however Cinder and Misty hopped off to go back inside.

Cherry jumped up on the fence and sat next to Taurus once more. She sighed.

"Poor Rainbowpaw. She must be having a hard time on her own."

Taurus nodded. "Yeah, she didn't even get her full medicine cat name." he remarked. Cherry rolled her eyes. "Starclan better let her. I barely believe in them, but if this doesn't work, I'll just say they don't exist." she sighed. Taurus laughed. "I never really knew much about them to begin with." he told her.

"Yeah, rogues aren't ofen let in on clan life. I think Speckledstones was a pretty rare exception. I just learned all this because of eavesdropping on all the gatherings." she explained.

Taurus sat, wondering for a bit. "I can't imagine it's fun to be a medicine cat. It seems very stressful."

"It's no doubt a heavy burden. But those who choose to be a medicine cat want to walk that path."

The two sat in silence, the only noise being an occasional rat scurrying under the fence to the barn for shelter–Cherry'd catch them when she decided to go back inside the barn–.

Cherry thought about Rainbowpaw, and everything she had to go through. The poor thing... there's no way she can manage all that.

Just then, she heard paw steps behind her, and someone jumped up on the fence next to her. She looked to her left; it was Blackpaw. The black tom nodded. "Hey."

Cherry nodded back to him. "Need something? It's really late–you should be sleeping." she pressed.

Blackpaw sighed. "Well... I was just going to tell you guys that I'm leaving."

Cherry's eyes widened in surprise. "Really? You're just an apprentice. I mean, it's not my right to tell you what you can and can't do, but... it seems really risky."

The black tom nodded. "I'm sure of it. I need to find Snowpaw, I can't just sit here and expect her to magically appear." He said confidently.

Taurus laughed behind Cherry, and she looked at him. "It's only been a few days, and you've already grown so much. How is that even possible?" he asked.

Cherry smiled and looked back at Blackpaw again. "It really is a wonder." she said.

Blackpaw's eyes glinted happily. "Thanks guys. So you're alright with me leaving?" he asked to make sure. Cherry waved her tail. "Of course! We're not your parents or anything, and you've already proven that you're more than capable of taking care of yourself. I have no doubt that you'll eventually find Snowpaw." she reassured him while patting his back.

Blackpaw smiled back at the two of them. "Thank you all so much." he dipped his head to them. "I'm going to go say bye to Cinder and Misty. Again, thank you guys." he told them.

Cherry watched him run into the barn, and pride welled up inside of her. She hadn't raised Blackpaw or even known him for that long; but she was barely able to suppress a huge grin of happiness. He seemed so determined to find his lost partner, and even more sure that he was able to.

A few moments later, Blackpaw came padding out of the barn. He jumped up over the fence and landed with a thud on the dirt below. He looked back at Cherry and Taurus, sitting up on the fence. He nodded to them, and was about to turn around and leave, but then turned his head back at Cherry and Taurus.

"By the way, Misty wasn't in the barn. She's probably out hunting, but just thought that you two should know." he remarked. Cherry widened her eyes. Normally, Misty was sleeping at this time of day, but she didn't question it. Misty was probably just getting tired of sleeping at the same time every night. Cherry felt like that every once in a while, so she understood.

She nodded to Blackpaw. "Alright. Well, best be on your way. You shouldn't be wasting a second more when you could be looking for your girlfriend." she snickered. Blackpaw rolled his eyes, but warmth glittered in his eyes. "I'll make sure to come by the barn every now and again, wait for me!" he yelled while running farther into Windclan territory.

Cherry waved her tail goodbye at him, warmth spreading through her like the sun casting its glittery rays down onto her pelt as she watched the black cat pelt over the horizon, his tail streaming out behind him.