head over heels (darry)

accidents happen. most of the time this fact bothered darry curtis and would for the rest of his life. but, when he happened to fall off a ladder and break his arm, he couldn't help but feel a little thankful. 

the roofing business darry worked for had been on a job for about a week. in that week he had taken notice to who he assumed was the daughter of the man they were doing the job for. he ended up falling head over heels for her, literally and figuratively.

despite the warnings of his brothers, he carried two bundles of roofing, leaving him with little balance on the rickety ladder. he was about half way up when he slipped. fortunately the only damage he took was to his arm.

the first person on the scene was her. she heard the commotion and came running out immediately. coincidentally she was dressed in her nursing uniform ready to leave for work. when she realized the man she had been eyeing up for the last week was the one who had fell, she made her move. she confirmed that darry's arm was broken and offered him a ride to the hospital. he accepted almost immediately.

"i'm darrel, by the way. you can call me darry," he said to her. she introduced herself. darry still managed to work his charm through the pain to compliment her name. he really did like it, but he thought that it would sound much better with his last name after it.

with the help of two other nurses, she patched him up and sent him home with strict instructions to heal him up. and her telephone number.

"this is if you need any help or have any questions. don't be afraid to call."

he smiled, thanked her for her help, and went home. for the rest of her shift he was on her mind. for the rest of the night she was on his.

the next morning a phone call woke her up. her father said it was "darry with the broken arm."

she took the phone. "hi darry! is everything alright?"

"yes, everything is fine. i just wanted to call to thank you again for your help. without you i'd probably still be in that waiting room."

"it's no problem really. i just like help as much as i can."

"i was thinking about taking you out to dinner to repay you. and before you try to say that you won't accept anything just know that i won't take that for an answer."

she laughed. "you drive a hard bargain darry. i'll accept your offer."

"great, how about friday around six?"

"sounds good. i cant wait."

for the next week neither of them actually knew how much the other anticipated the date. darry overwhelmed himself with details like picking up flowers for her, having his nice shirt ironed, and making sure his brothers were going to be okay without him for a night. they assured him they would be more than fine, especially since their big brother was finally getting a night he deserved.

of course she was a bit nervous too. this would be her first real one on one with him. darry was different from other men she had dated. he was handsome, hardworking, good mannered, basically the whole package in her eyes. if she blew it with him she would never forgive herself.

the two worried over absolutely nothing. an awkward moment between them simply did not exist. there wasn't a minute where one of them wasn't smiling or laughing. at the end of the night, darry walked her home. it was there under the flickering porch light that he kissed her. it was soft, sweet, and left her hoping for a thousand more.

darry had worked himself up all night over that kiss and by the look on her face he could tell it was worth it. something about the look in her eyes made him think that it was just the first of many. after she was safe in her home he walked home with a smile so big it hurt his cheeks.

over the course of the next three months the two had only grown closer. she met his brothers and friends, all of which decided that if darry didn't marry her then all was wrong in the world. to say her parents approved of darry was an understatement. they liked him because of his manners, but more importantly because of the way he looked at their daughter. they knew right then and there no one was ever going to be better than darry.

exactly a year after darry's fall he proposed to her. with tears in her eyes she accepted immediately. when their engagement was announced in the newspaper, darry cut it out and framed it. every day before the wedding he would read it over and over again not believing it was real. 

on the big day he was sure he was going to faint or throw up because of his nerves. but when she came walking down the aisle in a white gown every worry, every fear he had ever had was gone. he pitied those who had never felt this type of complete love and adoration before. he'd only had a small taste of it and he was sure if he spent another moment without it he would go crazy.

as he kissed his wife for the first time, darrel curtis felt a twinge of pain in his arm, reminding him of that fateful day that brought him the love of his life.