The Edge

She hadn't stirred. Her condition remained unchanging. The sunlight had dried their wet clothes and the spare cloak which Kaden had bundled Nefaria in. The fire continued to burn, it was their only hope, that the flames would keep her warm. "Come on Nefaria, you can't give up now," he whispered as he sat at her side. He didn't know what he should do if she drew her final breath. Notify a human, bury her or leave her there to rot. There was something about the thought of her cheeks sinking in and her skin turning black that didn't sit right with him.

He scowled as he stood up, he gently pried the spare cloaks from her and cut down some nearby branches and laid them over her, if Viren came looking she may be difficult to find.

He needed to find some sort of healer. He threw the hood on and walked into town. The human town was strange, different to the palace and similar to what he was used to. "Excuse me? Could you point me in the direction of the nearest healer?" He said calling out to the baker.

"Uhh over there, but I wouldn't go, got thrown out the palace by Princess Nefaria and you have to do something pretty serious to get on her bad side," he said confusedly as the sign outside the doctors office was easy to read and the cloaked stranger had a strange voice. Kaden knew if he was caught it would be the end of him and Nefaria. He stepped inside.

"Hello?" He called out. Papers were spread everywhere.

"Y-yes, sorry for my lack of organisation, my name is doctor Sarah,a disheveled lady in a doctors robe greeted as she stumbled into foyer. Her blonde hair tied in a bun was messy and he coat dusty, the doctor had seen better days and more patients.

"I need your help, my friend is sick," he pleaded.

"Symptoms?" The doctor asked.

"Uh, she's shivering, barely breathing with patchy skin and she's unconscious," he explained. The doctor poured through her book but couldn't find much. "Uh, it's be easier if I took you to her," he scowled as he dashed out the door motioning the doctor to follow him.

"Wait! I need my things," she said as she shoved a variety of medicines into her bag along with some medical tools.

She followed the cloak stranger into the forest. The man dipped behind an outcropping of rocks, Sarah nervously followed. She gasped as she stepped around the corner. "Princess Nefaria!" She gasped but her condition had worsened since she had last saw her. The palace had announced she was dead. "Who are you?!" Sarah demanded.

"Don't freak out, I'm a friend, I've been protecting her," Kaden said as he pulled his cloak off.

"You're and elf-

"Shhh, if Viren finds her alive he'll finish the job and she is in no condition to save herself so can you help her or not," he hissed as he hoped to silence the startled woman.

"I can try," she admitted as she brushed away the surrounding leave, "I can now see why she wanted her condition to remain on the down low, Lord Viren used it against her didn't he," she said she she used her hearing device to check her heart.

Kaden nodded as he watched the doctor try and find out what was wrong with Nefaria. She sighed deeply. "I am afraid there is nothing I can do," she said as she packed her things away.

"There's has to be something you can do, she's dying," Kaden demanded. Sarah's gaze softened at the worry of Nefaria's friend.

"I am afraid so, it is now in Nefaria's hands, if she fights it I believe she will come out on top," Sarah said as she removed a small vial from her hands. "If she does wake give her this, it lessen the violent nature of her sickness," Sarah said as she stood up. She looked back at the elf that pulled Nefaria's head to lay on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her. She knew it was a good time to leave.