Chapter Thirteen

Cale paced the hallway of his flat, fingers tucked into the palm of his hand as he proceeded to open and close his fists in an anxious state.

"Babe–" Sasha reached for him. He pulled away. Sasha was as in the dark as anyone else. Cale swore to keep it that way. She was innocent in all of this, a sweetheart most of the time but Sasha could be an unprovoked bitch at times.

"What's going on with you? Baby, please talk to me." her vivid blue eyes welled with tears.

Cale knew what he needed to do. Break up with her. He had to, she would be better off without him. He didn't deserve her anyway. As much as he cared for Sasha, she was starting to remind Cale of her cousin, Arrow. Sasha wasn't like Arrow, she didn't even share his gifts. The woman was as human as they came.

"I'm, I- look, Sash..." he could already see the realisation in her face. Sasha knew his next words were coming.

"I can't do this anymore Sasha." It was all he said. Sasha had shown up a little over ten minutes ago, Cale had been in his living room with Rosalie. Someone had broken into her house last night, when Elora had dived in front of Cale and taken a bullet for him, Rosalie had been hiding in her wardrobe, alone and terrified.

The intruder hadn't taken a single thing which led Cale to believe it had been a message and nothing more.

We know. We can, if we want to, and we will.

It seemed to say, loud and clear, Rosalie was, in fact, now in just as much danger as Elora and himself. It wasn't as easy for Ivar to go after Cale or Arrow. They worked in the same building. Ivar Sidbrooke might very well be in charge of the final word of what goes on in that station, but he couldn't go around terrorising not one, but two of his own officers. He liked the tension, Ivar liked the toying.

Ivar Sidbrooke knew that Cale and Arrow felt like deer in the headlights. Only, the car wasn't moving and the deer was frozen in place, headlights blinding, the deer waiting for movement.

Ivar refused to make a move against them, for now.

Cale was just as concerned as everyone else about Ivar's next move. He had to fight back every single urge he had to march down there the moment Leif had left with his sister and put Sidbrooke deep down under.

Arrow had said. "You do that Cale, my friend, and you'll find yourself in prison. What good are you inside when you need to be out here?" And Cale had backed down, forced the urge into the deepest parts of himself and checked in on Rosalie.

He had missed calls and texts. He had raced over there for her as soon as he could, and brought her back to his flat. She didn't need to be alone, he couldn't stand the idea of anything happening to her.

"It's...there's somebody else, isn't there?" Sasha replied, wiping the tears from her face. He had been stupidly disracted for a week or so now. He hardly spent any time with her anyway and in the last week this had been the first time seeing the man she was falling for. And the man that was, breaking up with her.

"No, there isn't. This is about me, and my family–"

"Don't lie to me Cale, you're breaking up with me, at least be honest about it." He was...wasn't he?

There isn't anybody else. He couldn't help but feel like he was lying to himself too.

"I'm not stupid Cale, so stop treating me like I am. Whatever. I don't care anymore, I stopped caring when you stopped replying to my text messages. I don't deserve this, I'm leaving." Sasha spun on her heel and made for the open door.

Cale didn't stop her.

Cale didn't speak another word.

Rosalie revealed herself. She had come out of the bedroom with her mug of hot chocolate in her hands, warming her. Rosalie was always cold even in the early days of may when the sun did its best to shine.