Chapter Forty Two

Elora had snuck away knowing that Leif and Matilda would have her head for this. She did not care, not right now. Her life had changed so much, her brother and her friends were gone, caught in the crossfire for something she had done–or so she thought, she had no idea her parents had worked for such monstrous people.

Elora didn't remember much about them. Cale however, he was a fly on the wall back in the day of their white picket fence family life.

She needed a moment or two.

So here she was, sitting cross legged beside the clear water stream. The grove was just as beautiful as she remembered. She had expected to feel uncomfortable, but to her surprise, the grove only brought her peace, just like it had so many times before.

The secluded little woodlands were rich with earthy, floral scents. The clear water running down stream was the only sound, besides the tweeting of some noisy nearby birds.

Elora had forgotten how much she had loved this place, how much this place could affect her moods.

She could only admire the bundle of green and brown tones that made up the little forest. There was a hare, hopping along the stream opposite her, Elora gasped.

The hare stood, as if her gasp had terrified his little soul, but then it turned to look at her with its big beady eyes, his pointed ears twitching.

"I'm sorry I scared you." She whispered, and the hare hopped away. She was alone again. Feeling strangely about the hare, about Lex and Leif, this soulmate situation.

Now wasn't the right time for such things. She should turn herself in, she knew that, but for some reason Ivar hadn't told a soul about her hand in Timmy's murder– or how and why it had happened.

Elora didn't know how he even knew such things, she had been so sure she was alone that night. That nobody had seen, she figured Ivar perhaps overheard her phone call with Cale somehow, maybe someone had followed Cale, maybe Kyle had gone back and spilled information.

She didn't know, and it didn't matter.

Either way, she was screwed and responsible for her loved one's pain.

"Elora." A calm, familiar voice called out from behind her. Elora shivered, turning to face Bunny, who was standing beside her with a man Elora didn't recognise.

"Don't panic," Bunny rushed out, her hands in front of her as if she was about to brace a fall. Bunny watched Elora rise, concern on her face.

"Bunny..." Elora didn't know if she was happy or frightened. Confused, sure. She didn't know or trust what was happening right now, for the weird, unsettled feeling in her gut told her that something was wrong with this scenario.

The stranger beside Bunny was tall, he wore black dress pants and a white shirt, the top button was undone and there was no tie in sight. He wore black shiny shoes with greying laces and his hands were resting behind his back, as if he were holding something there.

He looked at her with a lopsided grin, his hazel eyes drinking in the clear expression on her face.

"We should talk, it's been a while." Bunny tried to smile, but Elora saw right through it. She knew Bunny enough to know something here was seriously wrong.

"This is Finn. Don't worry, he won't hurt you. He's just here to make sure I do what was asked of me."

"What are you talking about?" alarm bells slammed against her mental barriers repeatedly.

Leif, Leif.

She couldn't shake her silent cries for assistance. Danger rang its ugly redhead in that very same lopsided smile. "Of course, Miss Yenfell. Mr Sidbrooke will be pleased you held up  your end of the bargain indeed." Elora's eyes widened.