Chapter Twenty Two

It was still dark when they made it back to the cabin, but it was past five now. Lex stayed in his car, but the three probably wouldn't be getting any sleep after everything that had happened in the past few hours.

Elora crawled into bed immediately upon returning. She was quiet the whole way home, and stayed that way as she laid there, wrapped tightly in the covers and still shaking.

"Hey," Leif sat next to her. He had brought her a cup of hot chocolate, and she sat up slowly, eagerly accepting it. She wrapped her hands around the warm cup, taking comfort in the warmth radiating from it.

"Thanks," she brought the mug to her lips, taking a small sip.

"How are you doing?" Leif already knew the answer to the question. Elora had been a wreck before the accident, but now she was being eerily quiet.

A humourless chuckle left Elora's lips, and she shook her head. "Great, thanks for asking."

"I'm sorry," Leif placed a hand on Elora's knee, and he surprised himself when his thumb moved in small circles over it.

Elora noticed this and was clearly just as surprised, because she stared at the spot where Leif's hand rested for a few moments, before looking up to meet his eyes.

"I'm starting to think you're doing this on purpose, getting yourself in these situations just so I can come save you." Leif hoped the playfulness in his voice was apparent.

The corners of Elora's mouth lifted ever so slightly, the smile just barely reaching her eyes. "I wish that were the case, but I think I just have really bad luck."

The two sat in silence for a few moments, and Leif's heart picked up its pace when Elora's hand came to rest on top of his. Her eyes searched his, trying to gauge whatever this moment between them meant. He answered by tentatively leaning in, waiting for her to do the same before going any further. He was relieved when she mirrored his movements, the distance between them almost nonexistent. But they were pulled from whatever trance they were in when the door swung open.

"We need to leave," Lex seemed out of breath in the doorway, and he almost instantly registered that he had interrupted a moment between the two.

"What happened? What do you mean?" Elora stood up, trying to distance herself from Leif now, feeling embarrassed at the intrusion.

"I went back to the scene of the accident. Just to see if it drew any attention. There were some guys around there. I don't know what Ivar's people look like, but if that was them, it won't be long before they go sniffing in the area."

Leif was up instantly, scrambling around the small cabin and collecting his things. Elora took a beat to process the information, feelings of panic and guilt - guilt that she'd ruined such a sacred place for Leif - swirling around in her already pounding head.

It only took a few minutes for the three to erase any clues that they might have been there. They packed the back of Lex's car with the small amount of luggage that they'd brought, and then they were off, driving aimlessly as they deliberated what their next move would be.

"Are you sure you don't want to drive, Elora?" Lex smirked at Elora in the rearview mirror, and Elora rolled her eyes. Of course he would try to make jokes in a time like this. While Elora appreciated the effort, he mind was still reeling from everything that had just happened. While she felt panic churning in the pit of her stomach, her quiet moment with Leif had thrown confusion into the mix. They had almost kissed. Elora felt as though she could still feel his breath against her face, and she absentmindedly raised her hand to run a finger across the spot.

"We'll go to my place for now." Lex spoke up again. "It's a few hours away, but they'll be off our trail for the time being. Until we can figure out our next move."

Our. She thought. Does that mean he'd be tagging along with them while they went on the run again? A few days ago, Elora would have rejoiced at the idea. The idea of having someone to fill the silence that had filled the remote cabin for so many days. But now... now Elora wished for a moment alone with Leif, to discuss whatever it was that had just passed between them. Surely, with Lex in the equation, that was unlikely.

Elora managed to sleep some during the ride to Lex's house - wherever that was - but still felt as exhausted as ever when they finally stopped in front of a large house. The architecture was modern, and it seemed to be located  deep in the forest. She was grateful to be hidden by the trees once again, figuring that the further in the woods she stayed, the harder it would be for Ivar and his men to find her.

"We're here," Leif leaned back to get Elora's attention. He maintained eye contact with her for a long moment before his attention was directed towards Lex, who had just opened Elora's door.

"Welcome," Lex said, holding out a hand for Elora. Elora reached for his hand, allowing him to help her from the vehicle. Once he had done so, he reached in, grabbing their bags and throwing them over his shoulder. While Lex led the way to the front door, Elora and Leif followed a ways behind them, keeping their distance all the while.

"Bedrooms are up here." Lex started up the staircase. "These two are guest rooms. Take whichever ones you'd like." He motioned towards the two bedrooms, which were each about the size of Elora's flat. "But, my bed has plenty of room, Elora. You're welcome to share with me if you'd like?" Lex winked, his gaze fixed on Elora. At that, Leif made a huffing sound. Elora glanced at him to find his fists clenched tightly around the bag that he had been wearing on his shoulders.

Elora couldn't see herself, but she was sure her cheeks were bright red. Where did that come from? "I appreciate the offer, but I tend to get a little violent in my sleep. Ask Leif," she gestured to Leif with a nod.

"Suit yourself. I will say, though, some of us like it rough." Lex wiggled his eyebrows before disappearing into his room. Elora and Leif followed suit, each taking their own bedroom.

Behind closed doors, Elora let out a deep breath, collapsing onto the bed. She wasn't sure how to feel about having her own bed. She had grown accustomed to the warmth and safety that Leif provided. And tonight, she needed that more than ever. Thoughts of Cale and Rosalie locked up in some basement or cell somewhere flooded her mind, and she realised how wrong this felt. She was sleeping in a luxurious bed in a secluded mansion in the woods, while her best friend and brother continued to pay for her actions. She laid there for a while, contemplating the situation at hand. Arrow is handling it. She reminded herself, taking deep breaths in and out, as if she could inhale some sort of tranquillity by doing so.

Later that night, the three sat together for a quiet dinner. Lex tried lightening the mood with jokes, a few of them flirtatious and followed by a handsome smirk in Elora's direction. She was thankful to escape to her room once again after the meal.

Elora took a long shower in the ensuite bathroom, and hoped that would clear her mind some. A hot shower always did the trick when she was feeling overwhelmed. But tonight, even that didn't soothe the nervous feeling that overcame her. Even as she crawled in bed to try and get some sleep, she tossed and turned for hours before finally falling into a fitful sleep.

***

Elora's feet hit the pavement, her breaths shallow as she ran from the man who chased her through the empty streets. He was gaining on her - fast. Before she knew it, he had caught up to her, wielding a gun that she hadn't seen before. The man lunged at her, but she was able to duck away from him, causing him to trip over his own feet. A struggle for the firearm that had flown from his hand upon impact ensued. In the end, it was Elora who emerged with the gun in her hand.

She had never handled a gun before, but she knew it couldn't be too much more complex than aiming and pulling the trigger. And fearing for her life, she did exactly that.

Elora's eyes flew open, her breathing heavy. Only now, she wasn't alone. Leif was there, arms wrapped around her middle. He must have sensed her. Elora didn't dare let him know that she had woken up, that she knew he was there. She closed her eyes, and this time, sleep found her easily.