Chapter 9: She's Gonna Blow

It was difficult to seduce the town's bookie when you had a group of werewolf shifters on your tail

It was difficult to seduce the town's bookie when you had a group of werewolf shifters on your tail. Rowena shook her head before looking up and raising her arms in the air. "Is this my life?"

"Put the gun down," Abby told Little Mikey. "We're unarmed."

Little Mikey sneered at her. "Nah, I saw what he did to Sal." He pointed at Cross. "He's carrying some sort of brass knuckles that look like they belonged to the Wolverine. If I put Betty and Veronica away, he'll shred me to pieces."

Rowena couldn't resist. "Betty and Veronica? Did you really name your guns after characters from a comic book?"

Little Mikey lifted his chin. "What's wrong with Betty and Veronica?"

Rowena shrugged. "I don't know. I just figured you would have given them more intimidating names."

Little Mikey made a scoffing noise. "Have you ever seen the way Betty and Veronica fight over Archie? They can be pretty intimidating when they want to be."

"Can we please stop talking about the names of his guns?" Cross roared. He pointed at Rowena and Abby. "What are you two doing here? I gave you strict orders not to leave Howler."

Abby cleared her throat. "Well, you see...it's the funniest thing. Rowena told me she wanted—no, needed. Yes, she needed to pawn her crystal ball. She asked for a ride and I knew you wouldn't want her to leave unattended...so I brought her here. The end."

Cross grunted. "No, it is not the end. I want to know why you thought it was okay to disobey me, Abby."

"Whoa," Little Mikey chuckled. "Disobey? This guy clearly hasn't heard of women's lib."

Rowena nodded.

"Do you mind? I asked her a question," Cross snapped.

"Well, I have a question. How did you know we'd be here?" Rowena asked. Her hands were on her hips. "Did you follow us? And what is with you calling me your woman? I am not your woman! I barely know you."

"You know me," Cross said through gritted teeth.

"Just because you say it doesn't mean it's true." Rowena's plan to seduce Little Mikey and get intel on Casey's gambling problems was starting to crumble. She needed to do something. She needed to start her seduction plan quickly. "I'm not your woman, Cross." She turned to Little Mikey and batted her eyelashes while trying to give him a wink. "But I could be yours, big boy."

Little Mikey leaned forward. "Are you having a seizure?"

Abby choked on her laughter.

"Rowena, what the hell are you doing?" Cross grabbed her wrist and pulled her forward.

"I'm trying to seduce him so he'll give us information," Rowena whisper-yelled. "Maybe I need to show some cleavage and do a shimmy?"

"I can still hear you," Little Mikey said dryly.