Chapter 20: Undercover Operation

If someone had told Rowena she would be dressed like a police officer minus the badge, belt, and handcuffs, she would've called them delusional

If someone had told Rowena she would be dressed like a police officer minus the badge, belt, and handcuffs, she would've called them delusional. She adjusted the black tie that matched her black pants, black heels, and a black button-up shirt with double front pockets. She left the peaked cap on a side table in the alpha's main living area.

"I'm going to kill my sister," Cross huffed as he entered the room.

Reed, who was sitting on a plush oversized sofa that Rowena thought looked and felt like a cloud, laughed.

Rowena pointed at Cross. "I can't believe you actually put that on!"

He was wearing leather pants, steel-toe boots, a studded leather jacket, and was holding a motorcycle helmet. On his face was a thick handlebar mustache.

"I think it's the perfect disguise," Abby chirped behind him.

She was wearing green camo pants with a matching top and black boots. Her hair was tucked under a matching hat, and she too was wearing a fake mustache.

"Why do I feel like I should be putting up scaffolding or something?" Matt, the pack's head enforcer, asked. He was wearing faded jeans, camel-colored boots, and a plaid shirt with a thick oversized white jacket. He was adjusting a white hard helmet on his head while looking in a wall mirror.

Reed couldn't stop laughing. Rowena wanted to laugh but refused to enjoy the moment with her ex-boyfriend. Instead, she stood up from the cloud-like sofa, careful not to move too quickly. Cross had asked her again if she wanted him to heal her shoulder but she refused. The pain pills were still doing their job for now.

"Are you sure about these duds?" Little Mikey asked as he joined the fray of poorly dressed shifters. He was wearing a cowboy outfit complete with a cowboy hat and a fake mustache. Gina followed behind him wearing a brown dress with fringe at the bottom and embroidered blue stones across the bodice. They hadn't originally planned on coming with Rowena and Cross, but Gina had somehow convinced Little Mikey it would be in his best interest to join her friend at the illegal dog race.

"This dress is cute," Gina said, "but we're definitely going to draw attention. I thought us going with you all might be safer...but not in these clothes."

Reed began cackling. "You look like the Village People."

Little Mikey turned to Reed, eyes narrowed. "You look like an idiot."

"Mikey!" Gina chastised. "Don't make fun of Rowena's ex-boyfriend. He probably feels bad enough that Rowena dumped him for this handsome stud." The handsome stud was Cross, who she was pointing at.

"Woman, did you just call another man a handsome stud in front of me?" Little Mikey placed a beefy hand on the fake pistol attached to his belt.

Gina giggled. "You look like a real cowboy, Mikey. I hope you plan on wearing that outfit after we're done at the races tonight."