Chapter 23: The Nightshade Pack

Casey was dead

Casey was dead. Bobby was dead. Flint was still alive—waiting to kill Rowena. Sitting in the corner of the alpha's reading nook because it was away from any windows, Rowena stroked the calico fur of her cat, Kitty. Her phone was dinging from text messages. She ignored them. Reed, Abby, Matt, and Liam were sitting across from her.

"Here. It's hot and probably disgusting because the Alpha made it, but it'll give you a jolt of energy," Maybelle said, placing a mug of black coffee in front of her.

Wyatt, Darlene, and Cross walked in after Maybelle pulled up a chair to sit down.

"With Bobby dead, things have escalated," Cross said, taking a seat next to Rowena. "I think I need to talk to Greg, the Nightshade Alpha. He needs to step in and stop Flint before he tries to kill you again."

"He won't stop, Cross. Not unless he's convinced he has Casey's real murderer," Rowena said. "Honestly, I'm not sure why you want to try to talk to their alpha. What good would it do?"

Wyatt nodded. "Greg adores Flint. Always has. He thought of him as a second son. He was one of his enforcers and pretty much got away with anything."

Darlene and Maybelle nodded.

"How do you know that?" Rowena asked.

Wyatt cleared his throat. "We were part of the Nightshade pack before switching over to the Howler pack."

"You were?" Rowena looked over at Cross. "Did you know Casey and her brother well?"

Maybelle shrugged. "We knew them as well as anybody. The Nightshade pack isn't the same as the Howler pack. They're not as friendly or as neighborly. Everyone seemed out to get one another. Am I right, Wyatt?"

He lifted one shoulder. "I guess not. We certainly wouldn't have rushed over this morning to check on Rowena after Reed told us what happened last night."

"We were surprised to see you four," Abby said, gesturing to Reed and the former members of the Nightshade pack. "I mean...I guess we could expect Reed to be here but you all don't really know her too well."

"She's the Alpha's consort," Maybelle argued. "Of course we would want to check on her."

"She's not his consort," Reed muttered.

"Are we not getting breakfast?" Darlene asked. "I only came because I thought we were going to get breakfast. I need meat!"

Matt coughed loudly before turning to Maybelle. "About Casey. What was she like at the Nightshade pack?"

"Casey's always had a bad reputation. Men fell for her but not enough to claim her." Maybelle glared at Reed who blushed. "I felt kind of bad for her. Imagine always being used the way she was. I left the pack shortly after my husband died."

"Casey and I had an understanding. She knew we weren't serious," Reed protested. "It was just a fling."

Cross placed an arm across the top of Rowena's chair. Reed's eyes flashed in pain before he looked away. Rowena refused to feel bad for him. She wasn't in an official relationship with Cross and even if she was, she still wouldn't feel bad because Reed cheated on her.