Chapter 25: A Late Night Visit

The pounding on the bedroom door woke Rowena up

The pounding on the bedroom door woke Rowena up. It was two in the morning.

"Rowena, it's me. Open the door!" Reed's voice, thick with urgency, broke through her haze of tiredness.

"Reed?" Rowena whispered, shoving herself out of bed and to the doorway.

The banging continued. "Hurry up, Rowena. It isn't safe."

"What's going on?"

She opened the door and he slammed into her, almost knocking her off her feet. He shoved the door behind him. "We have to go. Now. Put your shoes on."

She was wearing Care Bear pajamas. "Are you kidding me right now, Reed? It's two in the morning and Abby said I shouldn't leave this room."

"It isn't safe here," he repeated. He seemed wired. His hair stood up in different directions as if he'd been tugging at it. His pupils were dilated and his mouth was twitching.

"Are you okay?" she asked tentatively, reaching for her phone and sneaking her hand under the pillow that held the stun gun.

"O-of course I am. We just need to go. Now."

"Reed, you don't seem well. I think you should go. By yourself."

"No! I have to protect you. Before he gets here."

"He? Who is he?" Rowena asked.

Reed shook his head. "King—he's King."

"Who is? Who's King?"

"I should've put it together before, but I didn't. I lived with him, Rowena. He was always singing but it didn't occur to me until Darlene said it."

"Said what?"

"Wyatt, Rowena. It's Wyatt! He's King. He's always singing Elvis songs. Elvis was the king of rock and roll. He's our guy!"

"Are you nuts? You're thinking Wyatt was Casey's partner because he likes Elvis?"

"It's not just that. I lived with him, Rowena. I missed all the signs. I went over there before I was here and I read it."

"What did you read?" Her heart was racing as her hand tightened on her stun gun.

"Wyatt had a journal. I snuck into his bedroom and I saw it. There were pictures of her. He was in love with her. He loved her and he was waiting for her to leave me for him. He thought she'd get tired of me."

"Wyatt was in love with Casey?" Rowena asked. She took a step back as he stepped forward.

"Yes. He loved her and he thought she'd eventually leave me because she knew how I felt about you." He inhaled deeply. "God, you smell so good, Rowena. I knew it the first time I got a whiff."

"That's gross, Reed," Rowena muttered.

"No, no, no—it's not gross. Red velvet cupcakes, sun-dried linens, and burnt vanilla. That's what you smell like. It's comforting but addictive. I wish you could smell it so you could understand." He took another step forward.