Part 3- The Beginning

1991. 

Outside Tom "Iceman" Kazansky's San Diego mansion, were three children running, laughing, and playing. Inside, were the Mitchells, the Kazanskys, and Carole Bradshaw. The adults were having their own little party, but the children, Bradley, Emiliana, and James decided to have their own party outside because as they said, "We're cooler than the adults." 

The three were playing tag in the front lawn, James was it and was going after Emiliana. Looking for an escape, Emiliana hopped the fence and lost her footing, falling into the street. James and Bradley stopped in their tracks, telling Emi to get up with her response of, "I can't! Something happened to my leg!" 

James, without thinking, told Bradley to go get the adults and hopped the fence. He ran into the street to help Emiliana up, when he heard a car coming- a drunk driver. Scared, James dropped Emi and ran back to the sidewalk, just in time for all the parents to come out and watch Emiliana get run over. 

--- 

In the hospital, Emi was being rushed up to emergency surgery while the police came to talk to everyone, and two nurses were helping Charlie calm down from crying, assuring her and Pete that she is in good hands. 

"Did you get the driver?" Pete asked and an officer responded, "Yes. He is in custody." 

Off to the side, James was sitting looking down at his hands, terrified. James kept repeating, "it's all my fault." Bradley, at his side, took his hand and told him, "it's okay. She's gonna be okay." 

Though Bradley was scared out of his mind, he decided to put on a brave face to help calm James down. He was super close with Emiliana, but he knew that there was a special bond between her and James, that they would get married one day, even though they were 9. 

Four hours later, a surgeon came out and walked to the Mitchells, saying, "she's gonna be okay. She has third-degree burns on her legs, a broken knee, fractures in her hands, and scarring all over her body. She's a tough one, she is resting up in room 401." 

"Thank you so much doctor. Thank you," a tearful Charlie responded. 

The surgeon left and at once, everyone got up and walked to the elevator, clicking the button for the 4th floor. 

----- 

Present Day. 

Emi sat outside The Hard Deck, rubbing the scar from the accident on her arm. She knew she shouldn't have punched James, but at the same time, it felt good. 

"Can I sit with you?" came a voice from behind. 

"Sure, what's your callsign?" Emi asked, looking at the stranger in uniform in front of her. 

"Bob. I know you're Rebel, you're a Naval legend." 

"Thanks, Bob. Come, sit." Emi said motioning to the seat next to her. 

Bob sat down and said, "So what's up with Hangman? You- uh- You don't have to talk, it looks like you need a friend." 

"Thank you Bob. I really do need a friend right now. Basically, I've known him and Rooster my whole life and when we were 9, I fell in the road and he tried to save me but when a drunk driver came speeding down the road he left me there to save himself." 

"Shit man, I'm sorry. I guess that's a scar from it?" Emi nodded. "Well, if I can say anything, ignore him. Act like he isn't there. That's what I do all the time and it works for me."

"Thanks Bo-" just then, Bob wraps Emi in a hug, and Emi knows that this is a man she would become best friends with. 

"Thank you Bob," Emi whispers. 

"Anything for my new friend. If you need anything, Rebel, come find me." Bob whispers back.