Part 12- The Mission

Everyone stood on board the carrier, waiting to see who would be sent out to carry out this mission and who would be reserves, the tension and silence clouding the air on board. 

"Alright. You all know the drill- you've practiced it over and over again, and thanks to Rebel's little stunt, you all have the courage to do it." Maverick said, pacing back and forth, but making time to wink at his daughter, "Cyclone, Warlock, Admiral Kazansky, and I have talked over this for days and we have the teams set. Team One: Rebel, followed by Phoenix and Bob. Team Two: Hangman, followed by Payback and Fanboy. Everyone else will be waiting in reserve. Remember, you six have 2 minutes and 30 seconds to take out that plant. We will fire missiles off our carrier to disable and destroy enemy airfield and grounded planes, so you shouldn't have any issues on the way out. Good luck everyone." 

---- 

Rebel walked to her plane, carrying her father and mother's old dog tags, her good luck charms, before being stopped by Hangman. 

"You ready Lane?" 

"As I'll ever be Bagman," Rebel said winking. 

"You did not just call me Bagman." Hangman laughed, pulling Rebel in for a hug, "See you back on the carrier love," plating a kiss on her forehead before walking to his jet. 

"So I see you two made up, once again," Maverick said, walking up to his daughter with his wife at his side. "You got this kiddo, you're a Mitchell. You know exactly what to do and your mom and I will see you when you get back," Mav said, before Charlie pulled the two of them into a "family hug". 

"I contracted these- fastest models we have, but you know that. Oh God, Emi please get back to us." Charlie said, crying. 

"Of course I will mom, you know I always do. I love you both." Emi said, giving her parents one last hug before climbing into her jet, "I'll make it back- we all will," she mumbled to herself, looking out her window to see Iceman give James a hug as well. 

---

"Approaching final curve before the mountain," Rebel said into her mic, "Hang, Payback, Fanboy, how far back are you?" 

"Right behind you Rebel, just went under the bridge," Hangman responded. 

Rebel looked at her timer, 1 minute and 37 seconds left. 

"At this pace we'll make it out with just enough time Rebel, don't worry." Phoenix said reassuringly. Of course she knew Rebel was looking at her timer, she always hated missions with a timer, too much anxiety. 

Team One reached the top of the mountain and started their descent when Bob said, "Alright Rebel, laser is locked on target, you're good to fire away." 

Rebel fired her missiles, and started the steep incline out and over the other peak when Bob said, "Direct hit!" 

--- 

Cheers erupted on the carrier, now it was up to Hangman to take it out. 

--- 

"Alright nice hit Rebel, we're starting up the mountain." Hangman said, and a few minutes later, another direct hit followed the first. The target had been taken out. Now came the easy part, getting home. 

"Uhh guys," Bob chriped, "We got something on radar, two enemy planes 3 o'clock and approaching fast." 

"Shit," Payback said, "They must have been up before the airfield was taken out." 

"It's fine, Fanboy added, "We outnumber them. It shouldn't be hard." 

"Don't say that Fanboy, you'll jinx us." Phoenix said. 

And Phoenix was right. 

---

"Rebel we got one on our tail!" Bob yelled. 

"Don't worry, I got ya" Rebel said before locking onto the enemy plane, "Phoenix pull up!" 

One plane down, one to go. 

---- 

"Shit it's locked on me. I can't shake it." Rebel said, using all skills she learned over the years to try and shake the other plane, but it was no use. The plane fired, taking out Rebel's engines, leaving her to eject and crash. 

"Rebel no!" Hangman yelled.