Part 4- Morning Aviators

Author's Note:

So I suck at math. I just realized I got the math wrong- so here are the correct dates for this story! Rooster was born April 4, 1984- 35 almost 36. Hangman was born January 7, 1988- just turned 32. Rebel was born September 5, 1992- 27 almost 28. Rebel's accident was in 2008, the three were outside when Rebel jumped the fence (on a dare) and fell. That's when the car came and hit her (after Hangman ran).

----

Everyone took their seats, Phoenix sitting next to Bob across Rooster and Rebel sitting together,  diagonal from Rebel was Hangman, and behind him was Payback and Fanboy. 

Warlock stood at the podium, "Welcome back to Top Gun. You all are the best of the best. This mission is nothing like you've ever seen. Your skills will be put to the test and pushed past its limits. Your instructor, is a Top Gun graduate himself with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. He exploits are legendary, and considered to be one of the finest pilots Top Gun has ever produced. What he has to teach you may mean the difference between life and death. I give you Captain Pete Mitchell, callsign Maverick." 

"Morning everyone, I assume you know this book inside and out?" Maverick asked. 

"Hell yeah we do," responded Payback. 

"Good," Maverick slams the book into the garbage can, "This is what you used to know. I'll teach you what you need to know. For this mission, that isn't going to save your life. You gut, your instincts will." 

"Psst. Rebel. That's your dad right?" Payback asked. 

"Yeah why?" Rebel responded. 

"Hot damn I knew you two were related but I would kill to have Maverick, Goose, or Iceman as my dad." Payback said in admiration, just in time for Maverick to finish his speech with, "Your first lesson today- dogfighting. No missiles, guns. Your goal is to shoot me down, and my goal is to shoot you down. You will go up in teams of two planes, if I shoot one of you if you have a backseater, you both are dead. If one is still left, it becomes a 1 v 1, which is always the most dangerous type of dog fight. " 

"What's the consequence if we get shot?" Fanboy asked. 

"200 push-ups," Payback said, to which Maverick agreed. 

"Roos, we aren't dying today- I can't do push-ups." Rebel whispered. 

"What do you mean you can't do push-ups? That's part of the entrance exam to the Navy." Rooster replied. 

"I tested out of it." Rebel admitted, "You know this dumbass!" 

"Ohhhhh yeahh haha it's coming back to me," Rooster laughed, which made Rebel roll her eyes and get up, leaving Rooster laughing in his seat. 

----

Inside the picture room of the base, Rebel, Phoenix, Bob,  Hangman, and Rooster could hear Maverick make another kill over the radio,"That's a kill. Fanboy and Payback go back to base and see Coleman who will start your push-ups." 

"Welp Rooster, Bob, it's our turn now, let's go." Phoenix said while leaving her chair, with Bob and Rooster following her. Rooster turned to see Rebel make a face that showed how  uncomfortable she was as he was outside the door and mouthed, "You got this."

Hangman and Rebel sat in silence, both looking at the ground. Hangman was about to try and start conversation when he heard Maverick over the radio, "Phoenix, Bob, that's a kill. Head back to base and good luck on those push-ups." 

Rooster followed shortly after, and both Rebel and Hangman got up to take their turn. 

--- 

"Dammit." 

"Hangman you're dead. Start your push-ups. Where'd you go Emi?" 

Maverick flew for about 4 minutes when he noticed a figure above him, looking up to see Rebel inverted above him, saying, "Hey daddy. Smile for the birdie!!" And taking a photo before cutting her engine and pulling back so that she was now behind him. 

"Bring it on kid." Maverick said before kicking up his speed. 

--- 

Everyone was in the picture room, sitting on pins and needles, hoping Rebel could do what they couldn't: get Maverick. 

"Damn Bradley, you said she was good but I didn't think she was this good!" Payback chimed in. 

"Now we know why she's the best female pilot in the Navy." Phoenix and Bob agreed. 

Hangman stood in the corner, hoping that he could get the chance to tell her everything. Rooster approached him saying, "Tonight's good. Maverick and I got everything set up, just be in there 5 before 8. She'll be there." 

---

After about 5 minutes of searching, Rebel found Maverick and snuck up on him, making everyone cheer back on base with the words, "That's a kill. Nice try daddy, but it seems I'm the better pilot. Have fun with the push-ups, love you." 

--- 

"198.. 199 oh come on Coleman, that one shouldn't count... 200!" Rebel cheered. 

"I hate to break it to ya kiddo, but I'm old and you can't even do push-ups." Maverick said before bringing his daughter in for a hug, "I'm proud of you. Cyclone wants to talk to you, so be in the picture room at 8." 

"Why is everything okay?" 

"Everything's good Emi, don't worry. If he's gonna do anything he's got to get through me first." Maverick replied planting a kiss on his daughter's forehead. He was still upset he had to do push-ups, but glad that Em was the only one to get him. Charlie always said she took after him, and now he knew why, looking down at his baby girl, who had his smile, his eyes, his aviators, his hair. She was his mini-me. 

"Hey, I'll see you when you get home, okay? Tell me everything that happened so your mother and I know if we have to kick his ass." 

"Hahaha I will daddy. I love you." 

"Love you too Emiliana Rosemary Mitchell." Maverick said, walking back to his motorcycle. 

--- 

The clock struck 8, and Rebel took one last breath before hearing the door open. 

She stood, to see Hangman walk in. "We need to talk Em."