2.

Once Kate had stormed out of Steve's office she immediately drove into town. She guessed some scenery would be good right now.

She spotted a small diner and decided to walk in. Plastered on the door read "Now Hiring - $6.49 an hour with 8-hour shifts" definitely something to consider.

Once she walked in an older lady said "seat yourself, I will take your order in a minute" while handing her a menu.

She sat at a small table near the door and next to a window. She ordered a cup of black coffee and some scrambled eggs and toast. Breakfast always seemed to comfort her.

Once the lady came to take her order she got the guts to ask about the job.

The lady who was wearing a tag that read "Deb" said hold on and ran off.

When Deb came back she handed Kate a pamphlet with details. Deb said "if you fit all the standards with a vehicle n' stuff you can start on Friday"

Kate agreed and sat back to wait for her food. Once it came she enjoyed it, paid, and left.

She was finally stepping on the right foot, or so it seemed.

—————-Two Days Later-—————

Today Kate woke up fresh. Maybe because her mother wasn't the one who got her up, or maybe because she was going to the diner today.

She got up wearing something super similar to Wednesday's outfit except with a black flannel, a Led Zeppelin tee, and blue converse.

Once she made her way down the steps she found her mother packing her SUV.

"Where are you planning to ditch me now?"

"California"

"Why across the country, what is waiting there for you?"

"Men"

"Ummm... ok well at least how long are you gonna be gone for?"

"I'm not sure how ever long I feel like I'll send you a letter if I plan to stay any longer than a month"

"Sure, ok well ima go and get a paycheck so I can pay for the expenses your ditching"

"Your allowances are on the counter that better last you a month I'm not sending more until July"

Kate casually walked in and peered into the envelope, two hundred bucks. It was currently June so she had to get that paycheck.

Kate hugged and kissed her mother goodbye and headed to work.

Her life was so surreal at the moment. Her mother just left her for California and she didn't know how to react, but for now, she needed to focus on this job.

She parked out back in the empty employee parking lot. She headed up towards and through the front doors.

Deb was sitting at a small table in the middle of the diner waiting for 8:00 when the doors would open.

Kate quietly said "Hello" to Deb and she replied "your apron's on the rack in the back along with a notepad and pen"

"Do you know how to take orders?"

"Yea, but I don't know the prices"

Deb handed her a menu to study and reference. She thought to herself "great back to college work"

Once 8:00 finally came Kate felt ready to work her seven-hour shift. "Great another long day ahead"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N

I feel like this chapter was a lot better than the last two but they all just seem so ruthless idk. 😐

Sam Kiszka being 'Dramatic'