The Story Of My Life

3rd Person POV

"Sadie, please, just breathe." MG's voice says through the payphone as Sadie calls the Salvatore School from wherever she ran to. "I can't understand you. You need to calm down."

"I can't!" Sadie exclaims in a whisper, freaking out but still making sure to try and keep her voice quiet because vampire ears could be listening. "I just...she–she–"

"Sadie." MG's voice says on the other side. "Breathe with me. Please." He tells her, modeling breathing and Sadie takes a deep breath, trying to follow the breathing. "Good." MG says. "Now, tell me what's going on."

"Lizzie's dead." Sadie whispers, tears in her eyes and her voice. "Hope killed her." It's dead silent on the other side of the phone. "MG?" Sadie asks. "MG, I wanna come home. Can you please come and pick me up?"

All Sadie can hear is MG's ragged breathing. And then, he takes a deep breath to center himself. "No." He tells her

"What the hell do you mean no?" Sadie asks in a whisper, looking around to make sure no one was around. There was not a single soul around, in the pitch black night a gas station payphone, Sadie was the only one there. "MG, I am flipping my shit over here." She says through her teeth. "I need you to come pick me up."

"I can't." MG tells her

"Why the hell not?" Sadie asks

"Because I know you." MG tells her. "If I come there and bring you home, you're going to kick yourself every minute that you're here at Salvatore and not trying to bring Hope home."

Sadie sighs. "Frak you, Milton Greasly." She says through the phone. "You're right."

"I know I am." MG tells her

"So what do I do?" Sadie asks. "What if Hope isn't where I left her?"

"You track her down." MG says. "Like you have been doing."

"I've been one step behind her this whole time." Sadie points out

"One step behind is still in the game." MG tells her. "You got this."

"And what do I do..." Sadie starts, gulping. "...about the Lizzie thing?"

MG is silent for a moment. "You find her." He says. "Lizzie Saltzman is crazy smart. There's no way she went down without a fight."

"I watched her go down." Sadie reminds him

"Then there's no way she stays down without a fight." MG corrects. "Good luck, Sadie Nightshade. Hopefully I'll see you soon."

And with that, the call ends. "Bye..." Sadie whispers through the phone even though MG is no longer there. She slowly puts the phone back on the payphone area. "Just breath." She whispers to herself, looking around. "One step behind is still in the game." She repeats what MG had told her. "Lizzie won't stay down without a fight." She whispers to herself. "Alright, which way?" She questions, looking around

***

"Professor Vardemus?" Sadie questions, rushing into the office. "I need some help." She says and then she looks at the scene in front of her. A girl with short brown hair and a beanie is holding a towel to Professor Vardemus' throat. "What the hell happened?" Sadie asks, dropping to her knees

"Woah, woah, woah." Beanie girl – Jen– stammers, scooting away from Sadie. "Are you like that other crazy blonde?"

"First of all, we don't say that word." Sadie says, referring to 'crazy'. "And second, what the hell did you just say? What other blonde?"

"I dunno." Jen says. "She was...I dunno, blonde."

"Are you kidding me right now?" Sadie whispers

Just then, the doors are thrown open. "Oh, God. He is so dead." Lizzie's voice says