This Can Only End In Blood

3rd Person POV

"How much longer?" Ken demands from Jen

"Dude, I am smithing something that has never existed before." Jen tells him. "Chill."

"Your skills are needed, daughter, but they don't require your tongue." Ken tells her. "If you'd prefer I returned you to your prison or forced you to fashion a more painful one..."

"I did what you asked." Jen tells him. "Now let me go."

"I look forward to the day I no longer need to see your shameful face." Ken tells her. "But you will go nowhere until this weapon is proven."

"God magic plus Red Oak ash equals a lethal combo for the Tribrid." Jen says. "If you can stick it in her heart, that is."

"If you are lying to me again, pray to some other god." Ken says

"I wouldn't bother." Hope says from behind and Ken and Jen look at her. "In my limited experience with them, gods tend to suck."

"This is unexpected." Ken says

"Why?" Hope aks

"You told Cleo that only one person had to die." Hope says. "Me. So I have come to accept your terms."

"Self-sacrifice?" Ken asks. "How... disappointing."

"Actually, I've come to challenge you according to the Old Ways." Hope says. "Single combat. You and me."

"I take it my b*st*rd son informed you of our customs?" Ken asks

"Yeah." Hope says. "He also said that once a challenge is issued it can't be refused. Shall we say two hours from now, at the school?"

"I accept." Ken says. "But why wait?" He asks, throwing the spear Jen made at Hope. It goes right through her

"Sweet move, dude." Jen says

"Thanks." Hope thanks. "I figured you'd try something shady, so... hence the astral projection. See you on the battlefield." And with that, she disappears

...in Hope's room, Dr Saltzman and Sadie are waiting...

Hope comes out of the trance. "How did it go?" Dr Saltzman asks

"He took the bait." Hope says, looking between Sadie and Dr Saltzman. "Time to go to war."

***

"When Ken arrives, you keep him busy until Lizzie can vamp in." Dr Saltzman tells Hope on the battlefield. Sadie looks around the area. "She'll siphon him and trigger the explosion. Best-case scenario, it results in his painful and permanent demise. If he survives, then Jed and Ben will lead the vampires and the werewolves out of the woods and finish him off."

"Which just leaves you." Hope says

"Yeah, well, I'll hang back, supporting them with some cover fire." Dr Saltzman says. "For as long as my leg holds up."

"We're ready, Hope." Sadie promises

"Ready as we'll ever be." Dr Saltzman says. "There's just one last thing." He says, pulling Hope into a hug

Thunder crashes and the sky turns dark. "Get into position. I think the show's about to start." Hope says and Dr Saltzman makes his way to his spot. Hope looks at Sadie. "You–"

"Find Jed and the other wolves." Sadie states her part of the plan

"I was gonna say be safe." Hope says before giving Sadie a hug

"Good luck." Sadie whispers to Hope before turning and running into the forest to find her pack. She finds Jed and Finch rushes through the forest and catches up. "This is happening. Any minute now." Sadie says