𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕨𝕠

The Summer's First Dinner

Evelyn left the Fisher house to let Belly have time to unpack before she came back over for dinner. She walked back to her family's house that could never feel like home the way the Fisher's house does. When she walked through the door nothing was there to greet her but empty silence.

"Mom? Dad? Are you guys home?" The lack of response told Evelyn everything she needed to know. Her mother was at the country club, most likely helping to plan the summer's Debutante Ball. This summer, she was being forced to participate, now that she was "of age". Her father was either at work, or in the card room at the club. It wasn't a surprise, though. If anything, Evelyn would have been more shocked if her parents had been home.

☀☀☀

Evelyn stood at the sky blue door of the Fisher's house with a bouquet of flowers in her hand. If her mother had taught her anything, it was to never show up empty-handed. She had picked some coral orange carnations from the garden and tied a piece of string around the stems in a neat bow.

Evelyn knocked on the door, and it was swung open by Jeremiah just a few seconds later. "For me? Aw Evelyn you shouldn't have." He teased her.

"In your fucking dreams, Jeremiah."

"Evelyn!" Belly interrupted, saving her friend from the unpleasant interaction. "Come on, let's sit." She said, pulling Evelyn into the dining room.

The dining room table was set with the fancy china, just like it always was for their first dinner of the summer. Susannah and Laurel were bringing in plates of food from the kitchen, and Steven, Jeremiah, and Conrad were all now talking and laughing about something on Stevens phone. Evelyn was seated on Belly's left, directly across from Jeremiah, who she now noticed was wearing a wife-beater tank top that showed off his biceps.

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel scolded.

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces," Susannah said, softening the demand. "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days?"

"Steven," Jeremiah started, grabbing Steven's phone from his hands and throwing it into the aforementioned 'screen basket'. "Boom! Nailed it."

"Okay, okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out." Steven quipped.

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly said, making Evelyn almost choke on her water.

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now. Right, Eve?" Steven retorted, dragging Evelyn into their jokes.

"Oh, yeah for sure. Muscles are totally out, scrawny is so in."

"Sure, sure. Whatever, Evelyn," Jeremiah said, making the table laugh.

"Hey, when are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven asked Conrad, changing the subject.

"Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah said after several long seconds of awkward tension.

"Well, if you're not playing football anymore, what are you going to do all summer?" Laurel asked.

"Oh, dude, you can work at the club!" Steven suggested. "With me and Jere!"

"Wait, you guys are working this summer?" Belly asked.

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack shop." Jeremiah informed her, giving Steven a fistbump.

"Wait, hold on, you're lifeguarding?" Evelyn asked Jeremiah.

"Yeah, I'm getting paid to sit and chill in a big chair in the sun all day." He said, smiling.

"How am I supposed to actually enjoy myself at the pool now?" She questioned, visibly annoyed.

"Come on, Eve. I'm not that bad, am I?" He teased.

"Yes. Yes you are." Jeremiah smiled at her response.

"Oh, Belly, I almost forgot." Susannah cut into the conversation. She grabbed an envelope from another table and handed it to her. "I have a surprise for you." Belly looked confused, but Evelyn could have recognized that embroidered envelope anywhere.

"I wrangled Belly an invitation to be a debutante." Susannah announced, a proud smile on her face.

"Is that the thing where the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" Belly asked.

"Yes, Belly please you need to be a deb with me!" Evelyn begged.

"I know it sounds silly, but I swear it's fun." Susannah promised.

"The whole deb scene is bullshit, it's for sheep." Conrad said. Susannah shot him a look that said 'shut up'.

"No it's not," Susannah insisted. "It's when a girl has a coming out, it's a formal recognition she's reached maturity."

Steven laughed. "I'm sorry, mature? Belly and Evelyn? A couple months ago, Belly had a cat funeral. She made us all wear black."

"Shut up, Steven. I saw you crying in your room." Belly said.

"And Evelyn," Steven continued, ignoring Belly. "She can't even have a regular conversation with Jeremiah without insulting him."

"I could if I wanted to. I just choose not to." Evelyn said, crossing her arms and glaring at Steven.

"Yeah, right. You didn't even thank me for ever-so-generously opening the door for you earlier." Jeremiah reminded her.

"Belly," Susannah said, breaking up the argument. "Don't you want to get all dressed up?"

"Yes, white is definitely your color. Plus, I'd be there, which basically guarantees it'll be fun." Evelyn joked.

"It's just not Belly's kind of thing. She's our feral little alley cat." Laurel said, making the boys laugh.

"I'll think about it." Belly promised.

"Yes! This is why I love you Belly." Evelyn said, smiling.

☀☀☀

someone tell me I'm good at being an aesthetic writer my ego craves it

jk im not an egomaniac (yet)

Love, Cressida