Finally At Peace

“So uh, any idea what happened to Keefe?” Sophie asked while chewing on her food.

“You mean besides being upset for bad hair, a wounded pride, and being single?” Marella asked.

“The first 2 I knew about, but, the 3rd one actually may explain everything,” Wylie added quietly. 

Everyone slowly nodded, almost knowing what the feeling of heartbreak was like. Even Tam had empathetic thoughts towards him now. After all, Tam thought, His family was worse than mine, but also, the girl he likes is taken. Tam stole a glance at FItz and Sophie, who were both concerned and not concerned at the same time. The way they were eating, they seemed almost relaxed, but their eyes had concern…Wait a minute! They're getting better at poker faces! They're transmitting right now, and doing a good job of hiding it. Tam smirked. But other than that, maybe I should message him….UGH What’s wrong with me?! Funky Hair wont let me hear the end of it if I apologize. I’ll just…resist the urge to smack/embarrass him.

Soon they were done with lunch and played a few rounds of basequest until it was time for dinner and bed. 

“So um, where should everyone sleep tonight?” Sophie asked, taking Fitz’s hand and leaning closer to him. 

“Well you and wonderboy obviously have business to do so you can sleep together,” Dex said. 

“What if you sleep with our crushes?” Linh asked, her voice was so quiet that it was nearly a whisper.

“OH LINH! I THINK THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!” Biana exclaimed. “Linh, Wylie, Dex and Marella follow me, I’ll show you some of the guest rooms.”

Soon everyone was settled into their rooms with their crushes or more likely…Their girlfriends and boyfriends.

“I’m going to change,” Sophie said as she pulled out her pjs from her bag and headed to the bathroom of Fitz’s room. When she came out, she was wearing loose shorts that reached her knees and a smooth soft top.

As she snuggled up with Fitz she said, “What do you think happened to Keefe?”

“Hopefully nothing life changing. But he’s strong. Remember? He’s the reason we beat the Neverseen in the first place,” Fitz said.

“Yeah, but still, I feel like something was bothering him.”

“Soph, it wounds me that you’re thinking about another guy, one who might see you as someone more than a friend.” Fitz said jokingly.

Sophie blushed and laughed, “Even if that was true, you’re the only one I ever really loved in that way.”

“And for that confession, you get a kiss,” Fits said, pulling Sophie’s waist closer and eventually kissing her. Sophie’s hand rested on Fitz’s bare chest and hair. They pulled apart, and Sophie had to come clean about something.

“So um, remember one the first days I was in the lost cities and your mom got me a bunch of dresses?” Sophie asked.

“Yea,” Fitz replied, unsure of where this was going.

“Well she also said that I would be a heartbreaker when I grew up…and I didn’t really believe it until nightfall.”

“What happened during nightfall?”

“You know how Dex got me crush cuffs and I told him no?” Sophie said quickly. Fitz was tense when she mentioned the cuffs but nodded. “ I only thought of him like a brother- and to prove that we had to go through this whole awkward phase.”

“Awkward how?” 

“To prove that I truly didn’t like him that way I had to…kisshim. And I hated every second of it.” Sophie quickly added the last sentence. 

Fitz was silent for a moment and asked, “Can I see the memory?”

Sophie nodded and showed him the memory. He saw Sophie kissing Dex and all the awkwardness along with Sophie’s horrified expression. Then he saw how Sophie explained that she liked someone else, and that there was no spark. Fitz smiled at that and pulled away from her mind.

He pulled her in for a hug. Sophie’s mind finally felt at peace, now that she had shared the most awkward memory with the person that she trusted the most. And they fell asleep snuggling under the covers.