Training With Kids

Sophie leapt for her last year of Foxfire. 

She headed for telepathy. "Hello Miss Foster," Teirgen greeted Sophie as she walked in. 

"Morning," Sophie greeted back.

"As you know, your telepathy the strongest among all the elves, and I simply don't have any more I can possibly teach you. However," He interrupted before Sophie could defend him, "I do know something that could prepare you for your future in the nobility."

"What is it?" Sophie asked.

"Mentoring."

"You mean there's a possibility that the Council could make me a mentor. When I'm not on assignments..." 

Teirgen nodded. 

"Ok, I'll try."

"There are a few level twos that have manifested as telepaths and are incredibly skilled considering their age. So we'll use today to create a stepping stone for what you should teach them tomorrow."

*****

The Next day

"Hi there I'm-" Sophie started as she stepped into the classroom but was cut off.

"Sophie Foster?! THE Sophie Foster?! The one that defeated the Neverseen?" one voice asked.

Another voice added, "The one with 5 abilities? AND the youngest Regent?"

And finally a 3rd voice asked, "The one engaged to Fitz Vacker?"

Damn! I didn't know I was so famous, Sophie thought as she slightly cringed. "Uh yeah. That's me." 

"Wow," the three kids mouthed. One was a blonde boy with deep blue eyes, one was a girl with milky chocolate hair and ice blue eyes, and finally there was a boy that looked like a mini Tam with turquoise eyes. 

" How do you know all that? Aren't you 12?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah but I have an older brother in the nobility and he always talks about Team Valiant," the mini Tam answered.

"So um, what are your names?" Sophie asked.

"Darian," the blonde boy said.

"Alvin," the mini Tam said.

"Lia," the girl said, then added, "My full name is Oralia but I prefer Lia."

"Wait...Are you 2 named after Councilor Oralie and Dexter Dizznee?" Sophie asked. Alvin was Dex's middle name.

"You know them?!" The blonde sprang from his seat.

"Well Dex is my best friend and I'm fairly close to Oralie," Sophie answered.

"Wow," the kids mouthed again.

"How about we start the lesson?" Sophie asked.

******

"Ok that was THE best lesson I ever had. Now I'll definitely beat my brother in Base quest," Alvin said. Sophie had taught them how to track thoughts, and they got the hang of it immediately. 

"Tracking thoughts is only one of the many things you can do," Sophie said.

"Really? What else?"

"Well you can transmit to people and have secret conversations that nobody will be able to hear. Oh and if you have a strong telepathic bond with someone, you can be cognates with them. And that opens a whole new realm of possibilities."

"Like interspecianal telepathy," Lia said. "Or reading another species' mind."

"Yes. But DO NOT try it without their permission," Sophie said, remembering how that ended with her abilities restricted and being put into hiding. "But you are right. If you find a potential cognate, he or she will be able to boost your mind."

"Is that how it works with you and Fitz Vacker?" Darian asked. 

"Yep. He boosts me and I boost him, its a symbiotic relationship where we both benefit from it. And there was this one time when he sent energy into my emotional core and I never felt anything so warm and relaxing...Well except for the green breezes Keefe is able to send."

"Wait. KEEFE SENCEN?! As in Master of Pranks?!" Darian asked.

"That's him alright."

"I wonder if we can meet them," Lia said quietly. 

"Of course," Sophie answered. 

"Really?!!" The kids asked, ecstatic.

"I'll have to make sure they don't have assignments from the Council but otherwise, I should be able to bring them," Sophie answered, "And maybe we'll show you how Cognates work."

"YES!"

******

"Hi there," Fitz said as he came into the classroom behind Sophie.

"OMG FITZ VACKER!" All 3 kids shouted.

"Hey I'm here too!" Keefe said.

"AND KEEFE SENCEN!? THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!" Darian shouted.

"Right back at ya little dude," Keefe replied. 

"Ahem," Sophie said, "Maybe we should start with how Cognates can boost each other's emotional centers."

"Riighhttt," Keefe dragged, then loosed at the kids, "The stuff they do as Cognates is basically an excuse to flirt with each other."

"OOOOOHHH," the kids said.

Keefe continued teasing, "Watch how they start blushing within 3 minutes into transmitting to each other."

"Ahem," Sophie said trying to block the blush tracing up her cheeks. "I'll enter your mind now." Sophie told Fitz. 

And just as Keefe had foretold, after a bit they both remembered the first time they did Cognate training and immediately started blushing.

"Totally called it!" Keefe remarked. 

And the kids burst out laughing.