3. The Downfall He Faced

She accompanied him while Hussa jumped around them. Disturbed by the grass, she reprimanded him to be silent. But the grass seems to have gotten deaf. She ignored the weird creature and slowly shifted near the man. Rishi showed no reaction. Hesitatingly she placed her head on his shoulder, wanting to bring a little rise out of him. The man was so lost in his thoughts to realise that she had broke the rule of closeness.

It was not that he did not see her small movements. He just did not care anymore. They were going to die because of his choice. He hardly had any right to scold her for petty acts just to uplift his mood. He had been indifferent to her since their forced union. He felt a little uncomfortable at the kindness she was trying to show in her clumsy way. His usual stoic silent at such moments had always saved him from embarrassment. Not that he would let such a fact be known to anyone. The Mahant who was blessed to be lord should be symbol of strength at all moments. Then why did he feel so defeated and wished to disappear at the moment.

Sana was amazed when the man hugged her abruptly. What had happened? Feeling a little unreal, she wondered, was she allowed to place her hand on his back and return the hug? As her contemplation was going on back and forth, he had already separated himself from her. She now got why Mahant brothers teased her for being a tortoise. If only she was not too slow in her action. Nevermind, his softening attitude to her was sure to bring many such chances.

The girl still had her eyes widened and the flash of pity on her face amused him. It was not that bad to die in each others arms and become eternal lovers, despite the love being absent between them. Even the heavy rain falling on him and dirty puddle of water sprinkling on his face by Hussa's jumping did not deter his uplifted mood.

Sana suggested they do something instead waiting for the owner of thumping sound that Hussa warned about. He was one of the great warriors who had battled the invaders from the sea, the immortals of all time. If that was a possibilty, then why fear Raksharans who had death as their last gate.

He nodded at her words and knew that his first failure of choosing wrong path had hit him more than he wanted to acknowledge. The worst was the fact that once an Astrarian chose something in this mystic place, he had to follow it to the end. Even if it was death ahead. Each of Rujaras script were proving to be true, despite none of the Mahants who had adorned the lordship had ever been to this place of ruination. But what puzzled him the most was that Rujaras words did not apply on Sana who was an Astrarian as well. What was it that he missed in understanding the scripture?

The rain had increased its force yet again and showed no signs of stopping. Seeing that Hussa was about to drown, he picked the grass and threw him down the cliff to pad the ground not before warning it to be quick. To do something like gather his grass companions or animal friends who could soften their blow of fall. He just had to delay time as much as possible, provinding him enough space for creation of such a reality.

Since confrontation was inevitable, he had to group himself. The weakness and fear that was gripping him had become too painful that he had to break free. He had a lifetime of vow to fulfill and he was not going down without the brutual fight.

The sound of large footsteps and the shooing of crawling had finally donned to his ears. Hussa had heard that the strange creatures were coming for Sana. He lifted his wife and made her sit on the branch of a tree near the edge of the cliff while he stood in front with the dagger in one hand and Astrarian spice in other. Fight and flight preparation being done, his calmness finally made its way to him as he waited for yet another outlandish being of Raksharan.

The whirling storm had returned again and now ate all the green heads of tall immovable beings surrounding them, making the trunks and branches supporting it, barren and hungry. Heavy pouring rain was making it even more difficult to see anything clearly. Forget about a fight, even standing erect felt arduous. He just hoped that down below, Hussa found something to save their life. After all the talking grass was now dependant on him for its food.