Fifteen.

My body felt lighter. It was like gravity stopped working as I walked through the semi darkness. I felt the cold air blow over my arms and I shivered. I didn't know where I was. It was quiet for a long time until I heard the ground rumble. It cracked under my foot and I fell on my butt. I stared as the ground pulled apart and red light began to glow through. Rising above the crack was a large black shape. It didn't look human. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand. My heart beat faster as the shape grew wider. I could see about three sticks going down its backside and it's arms immerse from the crack. I could hear its growling. It stood on all fours and it was like the size of a small car. I slowly stood up, cautious not to make any noise.

I held my breath as it started to crawl towards me just a few feet away. Each step it took the ground thudded loudly. The closer it got the more my eyes adjusted to see what it truly was. It had a large meaty head and teeth sharp as knives. I noticed its long tail swirl upwards behind it like a scorpion. I realized I had been holding my breath longer than I could and I exhaled desperate for air. The moment I did I could hear it snarl loudly at me as if it was ready to attack and it was. Suddenly a bright white light shinned from behind and it sunk back down into the crack. It was afraid of the light more than to continue after me. I held up my hand to cover my eyes so I wouldn't be blinded. A voice spoke.

"Stay..away.." It echoed around me. I felt my vision blur and my arm get weaker as I held it up. I began to feel a weight on my chest. I looked down to see a hand just over my heart. It felt tighter and stronger. My legs gave out from underneath me.

--

I gasped awake. My throat was dry and I started coughing hoarsely. I snatched my water bottle from my side drawer and gulped it down in one take. The plastic crackled in my fist when the water was gone. I sighed. Another...dream. I couldn't understand them anymore. I rubbed my face as I slid out of bed trying to process everything. I slowly got dressed and made my way downstairs to the kitchen. I looked outside the window and the clouds were so dark and grey. A storm was brewing in the distance. All that rain and now even more. What is going on with the weather man? 

I took a bite from the piece of bacon that was on a plate in the center of the counter and watched Mom as she stood in front of me with her hands on her hips, leaning against the kitchen sink.

"Are you sure you're not upset?" she asked 

"I told you it's fine. You guys should enjoy yourselves. Besides it's just my art on fancy display. You've seen it a million times before."

Howard had surprised mom with a weekend away for their seventh year anniversary. She came home yesterday to a bouquet of yellow tulips and a two night hotel and dinner reservation downtown. I glanced over at the vase on the dining table where the tulips sat in water.

"But, it's a special night for you. I can tell Howard to reschedule."

"Mom, no. Trust me, It's really ok. Besides Ellie and the guys will be there. It'll be fine" I said chewing on the last bit of bacon.

She sighed and reached over kissing my forehead.

"He's so spontaneous. I had no idea he was planning this" she said

"Well isn't that the point of a surprise?"

She rolled her eyes. "Alright smarty pants."

I chuckled. "I think it's nice. You should stop worrying about me and have fun."

Howard walked inside behind me and rubbed the top of my head. My hair shook side to side and fell out of place. I combed my fingers through attempting to fix it back.

"I agree." He said grinning.

"Alright, I have to go. I'm helping set up for tonight, I know Matthew is probably waiting." I said grabbing my bag and throwing the strap over my shoulder. I headed towards the back door and Mom called out to me stopping me in my tracks.