Eleven.

The rest of the week had gone by quickly, and just in a snap of a finger, homecoming weekend arrived. It was that Friday morning when I started to feel a bit awkward walking around the school. There were flyers everywhere now, and a long line of people was coming from the bookstore waiting to get their tickets. I hadn't realized how close my locker was to the bookstore until now. I stood trying to put my combination into the lock, but it wouldn't open for some reason. I yanked on the lock aggressively. I slammed on the door, fed up after so many attempts.

"Angry much?" said a voice from behind me. I turned around, leaning against the locker. It was Austin. I looked at him. His hair was slicked back, and his jawline seemed more defined than before. I don't think I ever really took the time to truly gaze at how attractive he was. I blinked, averting my eyes from his abdomen and chest. What was this I was feeling? I refused to let it develop.

"What?" I said

"Something happen?"

"Oh, my stupid lock won't open. I don't know why."

"Can I help?" he asked

I shrugged. "If you think you can solve it."

He set his book bag on the ground by his feet and grabbed the base of the lock. He looked at me, waiting for the numbers.

"Wait, if I tell you, then you'll have access to my locker," I said

He smiled. "Then you're going to have to trust me."

I paused. A few strands of his hair fell into his eyes, and he pushed them back like always. I bit my lip, debating if I should expose such crucial information to him.

"30,12,30," I said

He nodded and directed his attention back to the lock. He twisted the knob and attempted to put the combination in. For a second, I thought he wouldn't get it, but just as he reached the last number, it clicked open.

"Access granted," he whispered

"Wow, thanks. Now forget everything," I said

He chuckled. I reached for my Biology book, and Austin watched me. I grew nervous; he was close to me. I closed my locker and started down the hall. He followed beside me.

"So, are you ready for tomorrow?" he asked

"No. I told you I'm not going."

"Well, I didn't think you were serious. I mean..it's homecoming, right?"

"I don't do dances. I'd rather stay home and watch some movies."

"What's your favorite movie then?" he asked

I looked at him. "Probably, Coraline"

"Coraline? The cartoon?"

"It's not a cartoon, it's a claymation. Those things take a lot of work, and the story is cool." I said