Twenty-Two.

I felt a brush of wind go across my body causing me to shiver slightly. I squinted my eyes in the dark trying to figure out where I was walking. It was too quiet. Much more than it should be.

The ground shifted underneath my feet as I stepped on what seemed like a pile of rocks, I lifted my hands to keep my balance. My heart began to beat faster as I was still clueless as to what was going on. It seemed as if I had been walking in the dark forever. To the left my ears picked up a low hissing sound and faint rumbling. What is that? It's one of them..I can feel it.

My throat started to tighten as I anticipated the worst. Another hound ready to attack. I thought about my shoulder and pressed my mouth into a hard line to keep myself from crying. I found myself beginning to fear the dark. I grew anxious by the second. Where the hell am I going?

I reached out to grab her hand hoping she didn't drift too far away.

"Ellie? Come on, what is this?" I spoke up. I was confused as to why I needed to be hidden for a present this early. What happened to the old fashioned wrapping and give? Ellie did things a little dramatically. I tried to free my eyes from the darkness but her hands quickly swatted my fingers away.

"Stop it, just lift your legs. It's inside, I promise, you'll love it"

"You couldn't just bring it to me?" I groaned. I began to think for the first time since she forced me out of the car. Wait..something's weird..

Oh of course!..of course..oh Ellie..why..?

She dragged me up three steps and I heard a creak followed by a soft thud.

"Surprise!!"

My ears filled with loud voices as they screamed at me. The darkness of the blindfold had now revealed a living room as it was decorated with a large banner and balloons. I gazed at each face wide-eyed.

I knew it..I knew it..

"Wha-what?" I stuttered glancing back at Ellie. "Seriously?"

The last few moments gave it away. How gullible does she think I am? I smiled overwhelmed by the grand gesture. I insisted on not throwing a party but I got one anyways. I wasn't sure if I could go through this night with everything on my mind.

"Happy Birthday Rose" Matthew said before blowing on the green plastic Party City horn.

"Thanks" I said softly. "Ellie..what is all this? You guys didn't have to throw me a party"

"Oh hush, we're supposed to celebrate. You're eighteen now!" She said nudging my arm and smiling.

"Who's house is this?" I said trying to project my voice over the loud music that began to play.

"Luca's. His folks are out for the weekend"

He rushed up with a large grin on his face. "Happy Birthday, kid"

"Th-thanks..uh, you didn't have to do this"

More people came through the door behind us. Most of them I didn't recognize but they seemed to know Matthew and Luca very well. I glanced at Ellie again raising an eyebrow.

"I'm starting to think that this isn't just a birthday party for me and more so an excuse just to party" I said into her ear.

"It's a celebration for you. We sent out invites to people. Just enjoy the night..loosen up. You've been really stiff since the gallery. I thought Homecoming was making a difference but.." She trailed off.

I knew what she meant. I just wasn't expecting this at the moment even though it was probably a good reminder that I needed to reconnect and realize I was still supposed to be having fun. If Grant were here he'd tell me the same things. To enjoy and calm down. But Grant wasn't here and I hadn't spoken to him in a while once again. It was like we were fading. The times I think we're rekindling and he's free enough to talk it end up right back to before. Us being miles away and moving on with our lives.