Forty.

"All this to get me back underground?" Austin said, I watched him as he maintained a wide distance away from Darren.

"As special as you might think you are

"As special as you might think you are. This wasn't all just for your measly return. That was your father's intention. I formed my own."

Austin scoffed. "By pretending to be Darren and scheming your way through. You've always hated me. Even before, when I was younger. After Hawk took me in."

"I despised how you clung to them, it was sickening. Saving the humans? Trying to be good?" A boisterous and malicious laughter escaped from Darren in between his sentence. "You're a lost cause. Your father couldn't see that and so I thought I'd open his eyes a little. Each incident you grew weaker. Empathizing, trying to be the hero. There is no hero, it certainly isn't you boy."

I glanced over to the window where Marina was still trying to get my attention through hand movements. I pointed towards the back hinting for her to follow me down the hall in search of another opening. I tiptoed around the area avoiding Austin and Darren and keeping myself quiet.

"You waited all this time? Why not just fight head on the moment you sought your chances before?" Austin asked bitterly.

"That girl..you and that wretched girl. It amused me at first thinking that she bore connection to the others. And then... it became annoying. She kept digging and getting closer to you. Your weakness allowed her in. Shameful. So I sent the other one to take care of things. Stir the pot. And you fell right into it." Darren said

"You were manipulating and charming Analise all along.."

"It never fails to amaze me how slow-witted you all are as a bunch. While you ran along trying to solve and understand. I've gained closer to rising ever single being from the underground and they will rule. Now that you've brought the girl to me. Nothing can stop this."

I gasped, as the window to Marina and the others opened loudly in my attempts to raise it. They managed to climb through in time but Darren had already been alerted of my presence. He shouted something and there was a vicious growl followed after. I knew it was from the horrible demon. He sent it to attack and the room began to shuffle as glass and wood broke apart while it made its way towards us.

Austin yelled and lunged forward at Darren, he quickly dodged his efforts to swing at him and hit Austin in the chest. He smirked as he went down to the ground.

"Did you forget your father and I trained together? I know..what you know.." Darren said smug.

I screamed as the demon revealed its sharp claws again, they raised up in the air above my head just waiting to come down forcefully. Marina grunted and jumped in front of me using her sword to cut its arm. It sliced through its thick narly skin. It reminded me of old leather material tearing after so long.

I rushed backwards attempting to find a new corner to brace myself in. I knew there was no way I would win in this even with the sword that Marina had given me. I felt a sudden heat forming in my back pocket where the jewel was stored. It confused me but I didn't bother to take it out.