Five.

Since Ellie and I lived down the street from each other, we drove to the theater together. Her mom gave us a ride. When we got out of the car, we waited for the others to arrive. It was silent; she didn't start a conversation with me.

"So, are you excited to see the movie?" I tried. I tried to get her to talk instead of staring at her phone.

"I wanted to see The Darkest Minds instead..but whatever," she mumbled

I sighed. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

My expression dropped. She smiled, placing her phone into her pocket and giving me her attention for the first time.

"What happened? Why are you being so distant with me?" I asked

She didn't respond. "You're my cousin..but you're treating me like a stray dog."

Ellie scratched her head. Suddenly, Luca's car pulled into the parking lot before us. I knew she wouldn't answer me now that Luca had arrived. I dropped it and leaned onto the brick wall of the theater.

"Bonjour magnifique" he said 

Ellie didn't understand because she never paid attention in French class. He was referring to me, the only person to comprehend. He smiled at me, brushing through his hair with his fingers. Ellie looked perplexed. "Ms. Dubois isn't here..so speak English, please," she said

Luca walked over to me, nudging my shoulder softly. "H-Hey.." I said softly. I am still processing the fact that he called me gorgeous.

"I'm glad you agreed to come with us."

I nodded. "Actually I am too. I hope this is a good movie."

Sabrina, Matthew and Viviana showed up moments later. Inside the theater, we ordered our tickets and then made our way to the concession stand that provided a variety of snacks.

"Do you want to share a popcorn?" Luca asked me. Matthew heard him calling him out.

"Don't be so obvious man" he teased.

"Shut up Matthew.." he snapped back. 

During their small altercation, I had already taken it upon myself to order a small popcorn, ICE-E, and a pack of Skittles. Luca looked at me, shocked; he shrugged and reached for my Skittles. I pulled away, raising an eyebrow.

"These are mine.." I said

"All that?" 

"..Yes," I said, stretching the 's.' He scoffed.

"We've got fifteen minutes of previews until the movie starts," Viviana stated, looking at the time on her phone. 

"I'm going to the bathroom; come with me?" Sabrina said, pulling her arm. The two of them headed towards the bathroom. Ellie and Matthew stood in the concession line, huddled together. She ran her fingers through his wavy hair. I wasn't aware that they had a thing going on. I watched them; she seemed happy. I've never seen her smile that hard since I've been here. 

Suddenly, I felt a hand touch the middle of my back. It startled me, making me stand upright. I glanced over my shoulder to see Luca. 

"You wanna choose our seats?" he asked. 

I nodded, following him into theater seven. I saw the movie motion picture poster hanging outside on the wall. Inside, the theater was semi-full. There was a majority of empty seats towards the back and front. Luca led me up the side stairs. 

"Shall we sit back there?" He asked, pointing to a row of empty seats.

"I guess it doesn't matter much to me," I said honestly. We ended up choosing the seats anyway. He stretched out his arm, instructing me to go first. I slipped past him into the aisle, sitting in the red chair. I noticed they were the new version of chairs that let you recline back to be more comfortable. Luca sat beside me in the joined chair without an armrest separating them. I looked at him, but he didn't notice. I felt his shoulder lean into mine as he adjusted in the chair. I felt uneasy with him sitting so close. It wasn't like the first time we sat in the car. I suddenly felt different.