Six.

I paced the floor inside my room, biting on the top of my pen; I held my notebook in my left hand, doing French homework. I reread the same question for the sixth time. I couldn't focus. What happened with Luca yesterday was still lingering in my head. It clouded everything else. It was Sunday, and I had to face him in school tomorrow, and I'm sure he would want me to respond. The only problem is, I didn't exactly have one for him yet. I threw my notebook onto my bed, officially uninterested in doing homework for right now. I wasn't going to get anything done.

I began to hear rain patter outside. I closed my balcony door so water wouldn't splash inside. I saw that creepy house again. This time, I noticed the black Camaro parked outside again. I tried to peek through the back window to see if anyone was still inside, and there was someone. The driver's side door opened, and stepping out of the car, I saw a man dressed in a leather trench coat. Underneath, he wore a white button-up shirt and a black tie, and his hair was slicked back upon his head. The rain hits it, making it wet. When he turned, I could see parts of his neck tattoo, but I couldn't tell what it was; his eyes were covered in black shades. He opened the trunk and pulled out a black briefcase, cuffing it tightly in his hand.

Who is this guy? I thought to myself, I became curious, extremely curious. He slammed the trunk down and began walking towards the house's stairs. Just before he reached the door, his head quickly turned. I jumped behind the curtains, hoping he didn't see me. I waited a few seconds before slowly poking my head out again to see if he was still there. When I faced the window again, he was gone. I tried looking through the house's windows but couldn't see anything. The rain got heavier now as it dropped to the ground.

My mom barged into my room, startling me.

"Rose, what are you doing?" she asked

"Gosh mom you scared the crap out of me.."

"What are you looking at?"

"Some guy across the street, he went inside that house," I said, pointing.

She walked over, peeking out the window to see. "He looks strange and he was carrying some.. briefcase," I told

She sighed. "Howard carries a briefcase to work all the time that doesn't make him strange."

"Mom..I'm serious. That house is giving me the creeps."

"He's probably the realtor coming to examine the property..calm down," she said, closing the curtains. I folded my arms, watching her refuse to listen to me again.

"Whatever..why'd you come up here?" I said dully. She looked at me. Her face was spotted with cooking flour.

"I came because I had been calling you four times already," she snapped

I hadn't noticed at all. I was too busy watching that man across the street.

"Oh..sorry," I said softly

"Ellie..she's downstairs.." she said

I raised an eyebrow, surprised by what she had said. I walked down the stairs to find Ellie sitting on the couch in the living room. Mom walked back into the kitchen, continuing to cook.

"Hey.." she said

"Hi, what are you doing here?"  I asked

She pulled her beanie from her head, revealing her blonde hair tied into a ponytail.

"I wanted to talk.."

"About what?" I said, sitting on the other end of the couch. She looked at me almost like she was hesitating to respond.

"I kind of wanted to apologize for..how I've been acting towards you," she said

"Oh," I mumbled.

"I know as kids we didn't get along that much.."