9

Kana yaari gadaari
Ishq-e-naa mein ghaar eyda

This morning was different from the others, I woke up feeling optimistic, a feeling that I had not felt since the morning ammi had been diagnosed with tumor. It felt amazing knowing that I had someone to talk to and someone to protect me in this household. I thanked my Rabb, a million times. Waking up early and doing chores was now my routine, so just because baba took my side once, I wasn't going to neglect it entirely. 

I made my way to the kitchen and started making breakfast. I was in a good mood today so I decided to make desi breakfast, I hope they like it. By the time, baba and aunty came downstairs, I was done with making parathas, murgh cholay (from the leftover chicken and pre boiled channas) and karak chai. Baba was literally beaming with joy as soon as he saw the table set out and I could've sworn I saw aunty smile for a brief second. Baba with every bite of the breakfast, kept repeating "wah beta Pakistan ki yaad aa gayi".
(Wow! This reminded me of Pakistan)

After winding up the breakfast table, I decided to do the laundry when aunty came up to me and said,

"I don't know what you've done to Abbas, but I am keeping my eyes on you, you better watch out, one small mistake and I will make your life a living hell"

But I paid no heed to her word, it was a good day and wouldn't let this small negativity bother me at all. I finished up all of my chores and went and sat in the lounge where I dozed off. And let me tell you, I had the best dream ever. It was of me, graduating from a fashion school and opening up my own store as a designer. 

I was woken up by aunty and she said something to me but I was too much in a daze regarding my dream. This was it, I was now going to focus all of my time and energy on this. I need to get my A Levels transcripts and look into fashion schools here. I went upstairs and started rummaging through my documents to find my transcripts for high school but they weren't there. I knew I needed those in order to get an admission in a college over here, so I decided to call up my father to ask him for these documents. It was 2pm here so it must be 11pm in Pakistan. I knew he'd be up right now, so I called him via Skype and he picked up.

"Assalam Alaykum, Ahmed Khan speaking", he said

"Yes, abbu its me Ayla, how are you and ammi?", I tried to start off the conversation, trying to forget how our last conversation ended

"Kyun call ki tumne, jab maine mana kia tha tumhay kay humain call na karo", he screamed
(Why did you call me, when I specifically told you not to contact us)

"Mr. Ahmed, I have no interest in asking for your health anyway, just tell me how my mother is doing", I said, at this point I was pretty much done with him as well

"She's doing good, ab batao why have you called?" he said
(She's doing good, now tell me why you've called)

"I need you to ship me my O and A Level transcripts, I'll transfer you the money needed to ship them", I said going straight to the point and to which he started laughing like a maniac

"Tumhain kya zaroorat hai unki, chup chap give the Abbas family an heir aur uska khayal rakho, parhai kay chakkar main na paro and waisay bhi I burnt your certificates" he said
(Why do you even need them, just give the Abbas family an heir and take care of it. Don't start studying, annyway, I burnt your certificates)

"What the fuck? You burnt them, why?", I said

"I am not obligated to answer a nobody, Khuda Hafiz" he said and then hung up 

Gulping down, my tears, I mentally calculated on what I should do now, I needed those certificates by hook or by crook. Closing my eyes, I remembered about Ms. Ayrah, my old guidance counsellor. Quickly, going through my school's website, I found her office email and I made a mental note of emailing her tomorrow. She'd get me duplicate certificates from British Council and guide me for college admissions over here.