Chapter 1: A new case, old friends.

You swirled your glass of whiskey, the contents swishing around its glass container as the ice made satisfying clunking noises. You were inside a place called grillby's and the owner was an old friend of a friend of yours, though unlike that friend you did pay your tab. Suddenly the stool next to you got occupied and on it was the brother of that so mentioned friend "Papyrus, what a coincidence... or is it?" You snarked as you continued to swirl your glass, not bothering to even look at him. Abruptly on the opposite side of you, the other bar stool got taken by that friend.

"Nah, no coincidence since we were lookin' for ya" Sans answered your question and you hummed at him. "And why are you looking for me? I paid off all of my debts and left" you asked him and took a swig of your whiskey, if this continues you'll have to have more than one glass. You had left the Mafia a long time ago and now Sans and his brother Papyrus bothered you while you were trying to rewind. "We got a job for ya and before you decline, it's about Lil' pup" Sans said as you took another swig of your whiskey, Lil pup aka Frisk was the monster ambassador and you had made quite a connection with them when you were a part of the monster Mafia. "Alright I'm listening" You were curious why Sans was asking you about a job involving a literal child, all you did while in the Mafia was sniff out traitors and ruin enemies' plans before they could act upon them.

You were born with a special gift or you could call it magic as the monsters liked to call it, you could see somebody's soul's scent lingering around and you could sense magic and feelings emitting from souls, it earned you the nickname bloodhound in the Mafia but only a select few knew who you really were, you were somewhat feared but that was a long time ago. "Ya see, somebody, we don't know who, have kidnapped tha" kid, we've tried solving who took tha' them but we found nothin' crucial to solvin' the case" Sans explained and you stopped drinking your whiskey, somebody kidnapped Frisk? You were inclined to believe it was monster-hating humans that did it but you shouldn't assume too early. "That's where ya come in, you were the best at findin' pesky traitors, you would have no problem findin' the bastard who took our Lil' pup" Sans continued, he has basically ruined your mood to drink any further.

"Alright, where did they get taken and how long has it been since?" You got straight to the point, you should probably not talk about Mafia business in the middle of a bar but right now that's none of your concern, finding Frisk as quickly as possible was on your priority list. "So you're taking the case!? Oh gee golly I thought it would take longer to convince you!" Papyrus suddenly spoke up, you finally looked at him and he looked back at you with so much admiration in his empty eye sockets, seeing soul's emotions really did help. "You don't know how many glasses I've had, now back to the point, where and when?" You turned back to swirling your glass to distract you from this awkward situation, you hadn't seen the brothers in 3 years and you didn't try keeping in contact with them seeing as having a connection to the Mafia could be too dangerous and now they came to you for an impromptu job offer.

"Near the school they go to, bout 3 days ago" Sans went straight to the point, much to your appreciation. Their school huh? It must be Toriel's school that Sans must be talking about. Poor Toriel, she must be besides herself, that goat mom worries so much about everyone she deems as a friend or family member. "Hmm... I see, let's go" You put down your glass and the appropriate money on the bar's desk for Grillby to take. Papyrus looked at you confused "Right now? But it's getting dark and schools are closed" Papyrus asked, you shrugged. "Exactly, nobody would be at the school, well anyone not shady and if we wait any longer the trace of their souls could be gone" You simply explained and turned to Sans, his expression quite stoic but you could sense some gratitude coming from him. "So you still do that teleportation trick?" You questioned, even though you didn't like it when Sans teleported with you whenever something urgent came up during your stay in the Mafia. Sans gave Papyrus a look which he nodded in understanding at, you couldn't decipher what it meant but honestly? You didn't care right now.