Chapter 3: How the turnables have tabled.

Sans hadn't seen you for the entire day and it was beginning to get dark, was he worried? No... of course not, you could handle yourself is what he told himself, he was a liar. Sans had knocked on your bedroom door, thinking you had retired for the day but nothing answered him. He might have teleported inside just to make sure nothing bad had happened and you went unresponsive, you didn't need to know that little tid bit though.

He asked around if anybody saw a human walking around and only got one lead from a maid, they said they had seen you going towards the garden, so you had to be there right? Sans sure hoped so, you were the only human in the mansion. Sans had planned to eventually bring in more humans into the monster Mafia but right now as human and monster relationships were still kind of rocky, he thought to wait.

Sans quickly teleported to the gardens, scanning around for you. If you weren't here then he didn't know what to think or do, did you go home because you were tired of them? That didn't seem like something you would do, even now after 3 years but that would be the next thing he checked out if he didn't find you here.

But after some looking, his soul calmed down as he saw you sleep under a tree, unaware of what's happening in the real world. Sans sighed in relief as he strolled towards you quietly, he didn't know why but he didn't want to wake you up quite yet, you were looking so peaceful... unguarded. He carefully sat down next to you while you continued to snooze away, it was calming. Sitting next to you looking at the darkening sky was something he didn't know he'd enjoy but he did. Sans was tempted to let you sleep some more but he kept the urge down and gently shook your shoulder to wake you.

You woke up with a start and a groan "Good mornin' sweetheart or should I say night?" You recognized Sans's voice and of course that nickname, what time was it? Did he say night? Oh man you only meant to nap for like an hour, you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes. You saw Sans sitting next to you which surprised you a bit "How long have you been sitting there?" You curiously asked, why would he sit under a tree with you in the first place? "Eh not for long but I'm startin' to grow roots" Sans vaguely answered you with a shrug, how long was not too long!? Whatever you have more important things to discuss with him anyway, you're kinda lucky he found you and woke you up. "Uh huh, better deroot soon and move to new soil" You indulged in his humor while Sans looked at you in confusion, sometimes you wish you could touch that skull of his to see how he could make those expressions so alive without any muscles but you don't think he'll enjoy that very much. "I'm luring the guy to your territory tomorrow, I know it's short notice but it came as a surprise to me too" You explained and Sans looked quite shocked but his soul showed you that he was quite impressed, probably didn't think you'd snag the guy so quickly, you sure didn't either.

"Heh, you work too quickly I'm hardly keepin' up with yer pace here, sweetheart" Sans chuckled and smiled but somehow it didn't match his eye sockets,his usual smile now looked quite strained. He probably was annoyed at your short notice and you couldn't blame him, honestly you should have told him straight away but it slipped your mind. "Yeah sorry bout that, think you can catch up?" You didn't even flinch when he used that nickname on you anymore, you were just used to it now seeing as he wouldn't stop calling you that. "Sure can, s'no problem" Sans's lazy smile got less strained and more heartfelt which calmed you immensely, you looked up at the sky and the stars were coming out and shining brightly in the night sky.

"Have you ever met someone without a soul, Sans?" You suddenly asked him, catching him off guard. Sans stared at you while you stared up at the night sky, he could tell you felt somewhat saddened with that sullen look on your face. Sans didn't like that expression you made. "If yer wonderin' why you can't see yours then I'll happily get Alphys to look into it for ya" You were still watching the night sky but your mouth had a noticeable small smile but as fast as it came it went away. "Thanks but you kind of dodged my question there" You looked at Sans directly in his eye sockets, your eyes felt like you were scrutinizing him, gaze never faltering even when he stayed silent for a minute. "Welp, you got me there sweetheart, no I haven't but doesn't mean you don't have one" Sans tried to reassure you but you smiled at him but he could tell it wasn't a happy one. "Thanks Sans" You simply said though he had an inkling you didn't really believe his words, you did that often.