Chapter Twenty-one

Aaron had dropped Ren off to Pop's, thinking that she was meeting Betty, which wasn't all a lie as technically the girl was there along with Veronica

Aaron had dropped Ren off to Pop's, thinking that she was meeting Betty, which wasn't all a lie as technically the girl was there along with Veronica. The pair informed ren about the Sheriffs affair with Mayor McCoy, very unexpected. Though for tonight Maren wanted a peaceful one, which in Riverdale seemed very much impossible.

Ren sat down in her usual booth, fingers tapping against the table as she waited for Sweet Pea. she was nervous about seeing him but also nervous about the others reactions. Not only were the girls here, Archie was also sitting bins booth not too far from her, so ren just had to pray that he wouldn't tell Aaron.

The ring of the bell alerted everyone, most people were on edge these days, and in walked Sweat Pea. Out in his Serpent jacket, a white tea and black skinny jeans, typical Maren thought while rolling her eyes smirking.

He sat down across from her, whispering a quick hi. After the awkward small talk Pop brought over Rens usual while taking Peas order. "Do you always get iced coffee?" He asked wrapping his hands around the steamy hot mug of.....black coffee.

"This or a milkshake, usually Pop chooses." The girl said taking a sip of the cold drink, "Its like he can tell what mood im in and knows exactly what i want" Rens smile was genuine, as it always was when talking about Pop Tate. That alone made Sweet happy, knowing the little things can mean a lot to Maren.

"Do you always get black? Is it like your brand or something?"

Pea snorts knowing that she was thinking about how stereotypical it was for him to order black, "I mean not even Southside can offer amazing cold coffee" he states sarcastically. "What's even the point 0f cold coffee when its meant to be a warm drink"

"I suppose everything has two sides you know, warm n cold" Again taking another sip, "Two sides to every coin"

"Touché Mar" As he says this he notices how red her hands have become, clearly from the freezing cold mug.

Maren watches as Sweet Pea tightly wrapped his hands around his own mug, only to then put his hands on top of hers. Ren didn't meet his eyes but instead smiled looking down at his hands engulfing hers. Her heart was beating but she did what it was telling her to do, she freed her hands from his and instead interlocking their fingers. Their gaze met and ren couldn't hold in her laugh seeing his cheeks a bright shade of pink.

"Looks like you're a bit red Sweet Tea hm?" She teased.

"Shut up I dont know what you're talking about"

"Mmhmm"

The pair spent up to an hour just laughing, smiling, arguing and just enjoying each other's company. This fun had been put on hold though when Pop Tate walked in the middle of most tables, looking like he'd seen a ghost. Ren stood up at her booth, "Pop? What happened?" Her voice filled with concern.

"That was him on the phone, The Blackhood" Now Sweet Pea stood up alongside Maren.

"He says that we've failed his test, that we're all sinners"
By now a few others had stood up listening to a terrified Pop.

"That the reckoning is upon us"

Maren had visibly started to shake now, glancing up to see Sweet already looking down at her. He interlocked their fingers again, squeezing once, twice, three times and more. Trying to let Ren know that she would be okay. But no one knew that did they? We were all sinners afterall right? No one was safe in Riverdale, not a single soul.

'' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' '' ''