Chapter Twenty-Seven

Maren had headed over to the White Wyrm with Toni after school, obviously lying to Aaron about her whereabouts

"What is all this?" Jughead asked as her approached the group.

"It's Serpent tradition" Toni passed another present to Maren who was elected the wrapper, "Every year we give back to the Southside, Toys for Tots, Meals on Wheels, kids and old folks living alone"

"The hells angels do it" Fangs winked to Maren.

"I'm always down for charitable works" Ren responded before Jughead could even ask as to why she was there.

"Hey have you seen my dad?"

"Why aren't you in school?" FP answered the question for him, followed by Tall Boy.

"It's a half day before break Mr Jones" Ren replied as he was also eyeing her.

"Well in that case you can hold down the fort here, Jug" He patted his back.

"Or I could come with you guys?"

"Nice try and the answers no"

"We could do with another pair of hands" Tall Boy quipped.

"I know what the Snake Charmer has you doing"

"Sweet Pea, your with us" FP snapped, making Maren look over at the Serpent.

Pea looked at Maren and gave her a once over, her heart beat faster in her chest knowing that it was going to be something dangers. But he wasn't hers to worry about.

"Hey guys i should probably head home" Ren said picking up her bag, "I can only say so much lies before Aaron goes and actually checks Pops"

"Yeah wouldnt want brother dearest sending out a search party" Fangs teased her.

"Sure thing Rens, thanks for your help" Toni picked up her bike helmet and passed a spare one to the girl, "Come i'll give you ride"

~~~~

After a quick thanks and goodbye to Toni, Maren headed into her house.

"Ren?" Jessica yelled to the girl from the kitchen.

"Hi mom" Ren walked into the kitchen sitting on one of the counter stools.

"We're having a family meeting tonight so please stay around for dinner" Jessica was already cooking up a meal.

Though Marens eyebrows raised, family meetings only meant one thing, either someone died or something serious has happened. They were rare in the Campbell household and one happening wasn't exactly exciting.

"Oh is everything okay?" She sat straighter eyeing her mom.

"It'll be talked about tonight, alright? So make sure to be here Maren" Jessica paused her stirring and turned to face her daughter, "I almost forgot, there was a package left for you at the door so i left it on your desk"