Chapter Twenty-three

The duo had just arrived at the Serpent hang out, where Maren had gotten unwanted attention and eyes all over

The duo had just arrived at the Serpent hang out, where Maren had gotten unwanted attention and eyes all over....literally. Toni tried to scare some of the men off, which worked slightly, the only person who seemed unbothered was Pea. He couldn't and wouldn't keep his eyes off of her. They trailed up and down but mostly scanned her nervous face and when she had sat down besides him her leg begun to shake.

He placed his hand over her thigh, to try and stop the crazy bounce. "Well you look-"

"Don't even" Maren snaps looking at him with the corner of her eye, "Toni's idea said it would 'help me fit in' if only i could actually fit in these clothes" She pulled at the top which was definitely a bit too small for her chest.

Sweet Pea snorts knowing exactly what Toni was up too, she always pulled these stunts when making female friends. "If anything it suits you...but it's not you" His thumb rubs patterns onto her thigh, Ren let's her shoulders slump feeling a lot more relaxed.

"Thanks Pea" She sighed looking everywhere but his eyes.

Thankfully the attention was pulled from the young girl due to Jughead standing front and centre of the crowd.

"I have an announcement to make" He started, "my dads getting out" the gathered Serpents started to cheer and clap including Pea, Ren couldn't help but stare at his pure happiness filled smile.

"When he does, i'll bring him up to date with our plans with Mayor McCoy" Jughead said brightly loving how everyone shared smiles and excitement.

Suddenly a glass slamming caused Maren to tense, "That's brilliant" Tall Boy started through gritted teeth.

"You have a problem with that Tall Boy?" Jug questioned.

He stood up, "Your old man?...no" walking closer to where Jughead was, coincidently in front of the table where Ren and Pea were sitting. "I got no problem with him. But you want us to sit down with the Mayor and you bring Northsiders here...especially that one"

Pea stiffened as Tall Boy glanced over, eyeing Maren dangerously.

"I do, i think he's right. I think we can bring the Southside back but it's gonna take work and help and it's gonna take compromise" Jughead stated nodding his head towards Ren.

"We can bring the Southside back" Tall Boy sniggers, "You've been here all of five minutes"

"-Tall Boy I am sick of you acting like a little bitch" Rens eyes widened, glancing over to Sweet Pea who held the same kind of worry.

"Whispering behind my back that i'm half a Serpent or that i don't belong here...why don't we put it to a vote?" Jug extended his arms out to the others.

"If you guys that what i'm doing is wrong, I'll step aside"

"All those who stand with Jughead and think that Tall Boy should shut the hell up" Toni said standing and raising her hand. Ren and Pea stood raising their hands that weren't interlocked, followed by many other Serps.

Knowing he was outnumbered Tall Boy went to leave, not before sending Maren a hard glare followed by one to Jughead. The pair shared a small smirk knowing that this was one small battle one.

"Hey I should probably take you home considering the time" Pea started whilst pulling the beer from Rens hand, rolling her eyes.

It had been hours since Tall Boy left and the small group of friendly Serpents had Ren drinking and joking with them. Although Pea loved seeing her get on with his family, he knew if it kept going on she'd be a bit more than tipsy.

"You're no fun!" Toni poked fun at the pair as Maren hesitantly stood up, lightly falling into the boys open arms.

"Sorry Toni, the boss has spoken" Ren sighed dramatically glancing up at the taller boy, smiling hazily.

"We still on for tomorrow Ren?" Jug questioned sipping his beer.

"Of course Jug, i'll see you then"

The pair walked into the cold air, wrapped in each other's arms. But Ren could sense something was wrong as Sweet Pea handed her a helmet, not meeting her eyes and just silently hopping onto his bike. Ren eyed him warily before sitting behind him. The ride was painfully quiet, Pea being the most tense she'd ever felt.

He pulled up closer to her house than normal, just a few meters from her driveway. Maren had gotten off expecting him to do the same, so when he didn't Ren looked at him confused.

"Okay what's up with you? You've been weird ever since we left" Maren crossed her arms.

Pea sighed loudly pulling the helmet off, "It's nothing"

"No Sweet Pea its not nothing, you can't even look at me!" The girl snapped feeling annoyed by him.

He stood up, standing right in front of her looking down to meet her eyes. His dark brown ones boring into hers.

"I can't keep doing this" He whispered.

"What do you mean?" Ren gulped.

"You know what i mean Maren" Sweet Pea stood back turning towards his bike.

Ren reached out to grab his arm, "No, no I don't so please explain?"

Pea inhaled loudly trying to stay calm and not scream at her. "That feeling i got when Jughead asked were you still doing a thing with him..." He shook his head, back still facing her.

"I don't want that feeling again" He faced her, his face frowned.

"Pea.."

"Maren i get it, i've always got it" He looked away from her face, knowing if he kept looking it would make everything harder. "I know you'll always say no"

Ren was speechless, she would never admit to it but deep down she knew he was right... he was always right. But it doesn't make it any easier, the look on his face made tears well in her eyes and her heart tighten in the worst way possible.

"So that's it then?" Her voice small and breaking.

"You knew it would end this way"

And that was he last thing he said before riding off on his motorcycle, leaving Maren a teary mess. She pulled his Serpent jacket tighter to her chest as she snuck in the house. Wanting nothing more than to sleep forever.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::