Chapter Twenty-Four

The next morning Ren had hid the Serpent jacket so deep into her closet, afraid of anyone finding it

The next morning Ren had hid the Serpent jacket so deep into her closet, afraid of anyone finding it. She figured it would be better to give it to Toni or Fangs when she got the chance, rather than facing Sweet Pea. 

After covering her puffy eyes with concealer she headed down stairs, making a be-line for the kitchen.

"Oh-" Ren lightly gasped seeing her father and Hiram Lodge laughing in the middle of the kitchen, Aaron sitting at the table drinking a mug of coffee.

"Goodmorning Maren" Nathan stated walking over to kiss his daughter on the forehead, "Thought id make Hiram some coffee before we headed into my office" He explained.

"You doing well Maren?" Hiram asked the girl knowing he was somewhat close to his own daughter.

"Uh yeah im pretty good thank you Mr Lodge" Ren didn't meet his eyes, instead she glanced over to her brother who was already staring up at her.

"You heading off?" Aaron questioned his sister eyeing her shoes.

"Oh yeah i was planing to hang out with Betty today...that okay?" Ren asked turning to her dad who just simply nodded.

"Aaron will take you" Nathan said making Aaron nod to him, what a great little solider Ren thought to herself.

"Dad he doesn't need t-"

"Aaron will take you." He put his mug down on the counter harshly, "End of"

Maren sighed, "Okay fine but we're leaving now" She said through gritted teeth.

~~~~

"You okay?" Aaron asked as he switched the engine off, now parked outside of Betty Coopers house. "You've been quieter than normal"

"I'm okay just thinking about things" Ren say back further into the seat.

"I'm here for you Maren...always" Aaron stared at her side profile wishing he could help his sister with whatever's going on.

"Thanks A" Maren smiled at him genuinely but she could tell something was happening with him too.

In the past if her father had friends over, even if it was just coffee, her and Aaron were shoved to their bedrooms or outside. Yet there Aaron was, having coffee with his dad and Hiram Lodge. Something was up for sure, Ren could feel it and she would find out.

"Go on you better go before Nancy Drew sends out a search party" Aaron joked shoving her shoulder. "Love you M"

"Love you too A"

~~~~

"Wait so they were all just having coffee?" Jughead asked as they waited behind the prison gates.

"That doesn't seem too weird Maren" Betty added standing a bit closer to Jug.

"Trust me, i know my family and it's weirder than weird" Ren shrugged, "Plus why was Hiram just casually having coffee at my house? He could've had some at his big fancy penthouse" She said dramatically.

"Okay true" Jughead sighed.

The group fell into a small silence until the body of FP Jones came into sight, he smiled brightly, a smile that was very similar to his sons.

The father and daughter hugged each other tightly, "Hey Betty" He said smiling at her before drifting his eyes over to Ren. "And you must be the Maren Campbell, well i've heard plenty about you" He said reaching to shake the girls hand which she obviously accepted.

"All good things I hope?" She smirked making him mimic hers.

"Oh definitely"

~~~~

After a very awkward conversation between Betty's mom Alice and FP, Maren decided to leave the group, allowing them to catch up on their own. So she opted to sit at her usual table, mug of black coffee to keep her warm.

Ever since the nights after what Nick had done, black coffee became a sort of comfort. The bitterness warming her instantly.

"We'll look at what we've got here" Toni tsks sitting across from Maren, "Not even a smile for me Ren?" She teased with a smirk.

Maren mustered up the most sarcastic smile yet causing Toni to laugh lightly, "Cmon Rennie whats up?"

Ren sighed taking a sip from the coffee and giving Toni and knowing look, "I'm sure you know Toni no need to act dumb"

"Okay okay i might know something but i knew you'd be here so i wanted to check up on you" Toni reached out grabbing Rens hand in a comforting manner.

"There's no need T, i'm fine honestly" Truth be told Maren was trying to convince herself, but her sincere sounding voice was enough to make Toni believe...for now anyway.

Toni stood suddenly, "Hey let's go to the Wyrm, you can wallow and i can work while watching you wallow"

"I'm not wallowing" She poked back while standing, "I don't wallow."

"Okay sure thing sweetie" Toni linked their arms whilst walking outside.

~~~~~

And that's what led Maren Campbell to being centre stage again, surrounded by Serpents whilst being a Northsider. Although most were cool with her being around, others were still iffy.

"I feel eyes burning into me Toni, this was a bad idea" Ren stated putting her glass down on the freshly cleaned counter top.

Toni slides the glass over refilling it and pushing it back to her, "No one will say anything, you're with us now better get used to it"

"Hey Toni" Betty said coming up behind Maren, "Hi Maren"

"You have a stage, would you be open to me bringing in a karaoke machine?" Betty asked filled with hope.

"For FPs retirement?" Ren questioned.

"Sure why not" Toni shrugged with a smile.

"Also Toni, one of the reasons i wanted to talk to you beyond the party planing is.." Betty sighed eyeing Maren before continuing.

"I've been walking the razors edge since Jughead joined the Serpents and all i've been thinking is as soon as FP gets home, everything will get better because he'll protect Jug and make sure he doesn't get hurt" The blonde leaned against the counter, slight stress radiating off her.

"Yeah i'm following you, i mean with FP out of the picture-"

Before Toni could finish Betty cut her off, "That's my whole point, i do worry. So i wanna keep an eye on Jughead myself"

"What are you saying Betty? That you want to be a Serpent?" Ren laughs lightly amused with the situation just as Toni was.

"Let's say Serpent-adjacent, but yeah apart of his world" She stood straighter now, "apart of this world"

"This will turn out great" Maren whispered under her breath.

~~~~~~~~