Epilogue | The Vizier

══𖣯 ♛ 𖣯══

══𖣯 ♛ 𖣯══

"Breaking news. Yoo Insu was attacked."

"The Welfare Minister was shot dead."

"The shocking truth is that...Yoo Insu was just a persona...a mask donned by a ferocious terrorist."

"He wasn't my father.I wanted to tell everyone...but I was scared."

It's a lovely Sunday morning when Yoongi drives Bona and her mom to the auditorium. Jiwon is already on the stage and they take their seats.

"This play is dedicated to Kim Taehyung," Jiwon says, smiling warmly. "Taehyung once said to me...There's a riddle in this play. A good chess player can solve it. Well, I don't play chess. If you find the solution, do tell me." Jiwon laughs and Yoongi's heart blooms.

"Presenting 'The Pawn and The King'. "

Then, a recorded audio of Taehyung's voice starts playing.

"A game is a game is a game.

To play to win is a sin. 

Play to learn and you'll win

Your mind is your only tool

Moves that fool are the rule

A game is a game is a game.

Far far away, in Chess Land...there lived a tiny pawn.

All the chess pieces loved him.

But one day,the evil king made him cry.

Teary-eyed, the pawn went to his Creator.

O Lord... show me the way. How do I slay the evil king?

The Lord said, "Little pawn, you're the heart of chess."

"Make the right moves, and you'll become...the Vizier."

Yoongi stills. His eyebrows scrunch together, trying to join the dots. 

"Make the right moves... and you'll become the Vizier.

You'll become the Vizier. Mr. Vizier!

On Lord's advice, the pawn befriended an honest rook.

"You brought my little sister home."

"You've become a friend."

"Cheers to our friendship."

"The rook was a calm fellow...but if his friend got hurt,

he'd go crazy."

"When the pawn in front of him dies...this rook goes on a rampage."

"To unleash the rook, the pawn played his last move."

"If anything happens to me, my Hyung won't spare the King."

"The pawn sacrificed himself...so that the rook

would checkmate the evil King."

"Now you know the Kim Taehyung Special. In this game, you win by losing."

Fuck. Has Yoongi been blind all along? He immediately heads out of the auditorium and drives to Sue's house. If he's right, even a little, then she must know something.

He doesn't wait a minute for greetings or explanation before asking, "When Taehyung was attacked...what were you doing there?"

"Huh, is everything okay?" the lady says, slightly alarmed.

"Did you see Vizier yourself?"

Sue seemed to contemplate.

"Yes or no?"

"Yes!"

Yoongi exhales, "What was he wearing?"

The caretaker shrugged, "Whatever Taehyung said."

Yoongi closed his eyes, feeling betrayed. "What did you see?"

"I came home because Taehyung said he was hungry. I didn't question that it was late at night but when I reached, saw him as that and Taehyung pointed at the window...I saw the window moving, so..."

"So you saw nothing yourself!" Yoongi hissed.

"Taehyung said it, so I believed it."

Yoongi holds his head in between his hands. He doesn't understand, doesn't get it. Why would Taehyung do that?

He turns to head out when Sue says, "Mr Yoongi, one moment. I remember Taehyung once said to me...Someday, Yoongi will come to you looking for Vizier and handed me wait for a second," she opens the drawer at her TV stand and removes a chess piece. Of Vizier. "Give him this Vizier."

"I had laughed about it saying Taehyung, you're too much." Yoongi takes it from her.

It looks like those old pieces.

The missing piece to Taehyung's old chessboard. 

"I know this is a pen drive. My children have all kinds, they use it for recording."

...

"In this game, you win by losing."

"Every pawn can become Vizier"

"The pawn sacrificed himself..."

"so that the rook would checkmate the evil king."

When Yoongi reaches home and plugs the Pendrive into his TV, he is met with Taehyung on-screen...wearing the same clothes he wore the last time he had seen him.

"My friend! You've learned how to learn. And since you're watching this... You've learned how to win. You won!"

Yoongi scoffs, eyes teary. "No. You won!"

"No legs, no guns, I had nothing...what else could I do? How would I ever get to Yoo Insu? This weak pawn had only one option...One step at a time, I reached the last square.."

".And you became Vizier," Yoongi says, all dawning upon him. He did it all, recording audios, setting up crime scenes...everything.

"The Kim Taehyung Special. In this game, you win by losing. Get it? My first move. My first move brought you to my house. And my last move...My last move took you to Yoo Insu."

"Checkmate. Game over, MinYoongi."

"What moves!" Yoongi shakes his head. "Totally beat me up, didn't you?"

"This is not the end. My real game has just started. When you watch this tape...I'll be up there listening to my mother's favourite song! Nina will be with me, and your Ari too. I'll play chess with your daughter there...while you play here with Jiwon. Play your best game... Live it up! And remember to smile. When the Creator asks me... "Kim Taehyung, what did you achieve...in the long life I gave you?"

"I'll tell Him...I taught a friend to smile.

Time to go, Yoongi. Time to go.

So...may I?"

══𖣯 THE ♕ END 𖣯══

🎉 You've finished reading ❝𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗦𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗣𝗜𝗘𝗖𝗘 ━━ 𝗠.𝗬𝗚 & 𝗞.𝗧𝗛 🎉