SEVENTEEN

Mismatched pair of eyes settled upon a neat and cosy-looking living room, inspecting bits of details that could be taken in for seconds

Mismatched pair of eyes settled upon a neat and cosy-looking living room, inspecting bits of details that could be taken in for seconds. Wolf took off his shoes at the doorway, pushing them to the side as Youko could be heard closing the door behind them as she had insisted for him to enter first.

"Your house is very lovely," Wolf nodded slightly as he stepped further inside.

"Thank you. Are you okay with tea? Or would you like coffee instead?" Youko asked as she made her way to the open kitchen. Her hands reached towards the upper cabinet, opening them to reveal several boxes and packages inside.

Wolf was silent for a moment before he replied, "No green tea, please. I found myself unable to be fond of the drink. Other tea would be fine." He sensed a little chuckle coming from the woman before she hummed.

Wolf moved his attention elsewhere, eyes catching the little plants set on the window frames, several papers near the table beside the phone with an uncapped pen beside it and the photo frames along the walls of the hallway.

Engrossed, Wolf failed to notice or to stop himself from inching closer to the photo frames on the walls, some on the bookshelf, as he felt the sense of wonder get the best of him. Perhaps there were photos of Youko's late son that Wolf had been curious about. Did they have that much resemblance for the woman to look so happy yet sad upon seeing him every time?

Shivers ran down his spine for a split second.

There in the photo frame set on the bookshelf was a bright and foolish-looking boy. His eyes were different from Wolf's; instead of the mismatched shades like his own, the boy's were different. His red hair was tied highly⸺unlike Wolf's⸺neat with little fringes adorning the sides of his face. A glint of sweat could barely be noticed on his exposed forehead and on his face plastered a wide smile that Wolf doubted he could ever copy. Gripped in his hands then were a giant golden trophy along with a medium-sized bouquet filled with what seemed to be fake roses.

Wolf couldn't deny how it seemed as if he was staring at himself at the moment. It was as if he was gazing at a mirror.

Unbelievable! How could they look the same? Wolf thought as he frowned upon the photo frame, hands almost reaching out to grip it into his hands.

The male thought of himself must have been overthinking for a brief moment, his gaze averted to the closest photo on the wall. Wolf could see himself spreading his arms with the sea behind him, carefreely as the sunset hues washed upon his vermillion hair. They seemed almost fiery orange for a second. He was tucked comfortably into a thick hoodie with a similar hat to the one that one of the girls had worn earlier.

No doubt, this person seemed to be his doppelganger.

Or was Wolf the one who was the doppelganger?

"Ah," Wolf's attention snapped to the voice coming from behind him. "I see you've noticed them." Came back the fond tone of Youko, she could be heard settling down the cup of tea onto the coffee table.