054

MURRAY'S COVER STORY was ridiculously absurd, about as laughable as the sight of him in Joyce's pastel patterned apron, constantly stirring away at the rice and broth mixture until it reached the appropriate creamy consistency

"They're not going to believe you, stupid," Ana doubted as Joyce and the kids settled around the kitchen table, awaiting the evening's meal.

As he went about placing portions on plates, the bespectacled man frowned at her lack of optimism. "I'm pretty sure they're preoccupied," he noted with his chin jutting towards Will, Mike, and Eleven, all silently sulking at the dinner table. "Besides, Jonathan and the tall one seem out of it."

The eldest Byers and Argyle were sporting some pretty fierce red eyes, something Joyce had neglected to notice, too distracted with her own forthcoming lie. Ana tilted her head in consideration of the children for a moment before nodding her head slowly in acknowledgment. "You're right. There is a distinct skunk smell coming off those two."

When the dinner was presented to them, the high school seniors immediately began digging in, no doubt suffering from a raging case of the munchies. With Murray sitting at the head of the table, he began divulging his outlandish tale to a less than captivated audience. "There I was, headed down the I-5, going to see a client in Ventura. I'm looking for a motel to stay for the night, and suddenly, bam," his fist struck against the wooden table in time with his exclamation. "It hits me. Didn't the Byers move here?"

"Small world, isn't it?" Joyce beamed in exaggeration from the opposite end. "It's a small world."

Mushed between Argyle and Jonathan, Ana falsely chuckled along with the other adults, reveling in their shared deception. "Almost unbelievably small," she smarted, stabbing at the salad with her fork. Even as the dry lettuce touched her tongue, she could feel the glares from Joyce and Murray burning into her profile.

With her sarcastic remark entirely ignored, Murray persisted as though she hadn't interrupted. "So I thought, hey, you know what? Why don't I drop in, say hello to my old friends?" He continued enthusiastically, waving his own fork about.

"It is so sweet of you," Joyce praised, laying the niceties on unnecessarily thick.

"Sweet of you to let me stay," Murray simpered, their flirting beginning to make Ana's stomach turn, so she chose to ignore them.

Their community theatre performance, as elaborate and showy as it had become, was all for not, however, given Jonathan could barely meet utensil to mouth and El was scowling like the risotto had personally done her harm.

"Right, that business trip," Joyce announced, finally drawing all attention and eyes. Well, with the exception of Jonathan, who was busy acquiring more bread, and Argyle, who was staring at a fixed point on the table cloth in amazement.

Immediately, Will dropped his fork onto the plate, which clattered before resting. "Business trip?" What business trip?" He questioned in disbelief.

"Oh my gosh," Joyce gasped in pseudo absentmindedness. "I almost forgot to tell you guys. This thing came up at work last minute. And it turns out I have to go to a conference tomorrow. In Alaska. Oh, and Ana will be joining me."