046

"OH, MAN, now this, this is what I'm talking about!" Steve exclaimed excitedly upon laying eyes on the yellow convertible parked out front

"Toddfather?" Robin questioned skeptically, eyeing the gaudy vehicle and accompanying vanity plate.

"Oh, screw Todd! Steve's her daddy now." He seemed so thrilled for someone so thoroughly battered and bruised. Ana almost felt bad about putting a damper on his elation. Almost.

Swiping the keys out of the air when Steve tossed them up in anticipation, Ana promptly shut down any notion that he'd be driving them to their intended destination. "You wish, Harrington. Your face is half busted. There's no way I'm letting you drive this car."

Hip checking him away from the driver's seat, Ana situated herself behind the wheel while Dustin and Erica clambered into the back. They chuckled mercilessly at a now very disappointed Steve while he squeezed between the two younger children. Robin simply beamed from her spot in the passenger's seat.

"Not cool, Ms. Thompson. Not cool," Steve grumbled under his breath, which just elicited another round of giggles at his expense.

Turning the key over in the ignition, Ana asked, "where are we headed, Dustin?" The engine roared to life, and she threw the gear into drive, awaiting directions.

"Weathertop," Dustin announced like it was an exact location and not a title he'd given an undeserving Hawkins hilltop.

"Lord of the Rings, nice. Hopefully, we won't run into any Ringwraiths," she scoffed before peeling out of the mall parking lot.

The road was empty as the hour was late. The fivesome cruised quickly through the darkness, wind whipping their hair about as the blurred scenery passed. "Jesus, how far is this place, man?" Steve whined from the backseat. Sure, they were under a time constraint, but Ana had a feeling his surliness was attributed towards being stripped of driving duties and delegated to the middle seat, more so than from actual travel time.

"Relax, we're almost there," Dustin assured, albeit with an agitated tinge to his voice.

Robin was dreamily watching the night sky as the miles passed. "Suzie must be pretty special, huh? I mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?" She mused, her eyes still trained upward.

Dustin grinned proudly at the mention of his science camp girlfriend. "I mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but Suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human could possibly be." It seemed only yesterday that the teenager was proclaiming similar plaudits about Max. Oh, to be young, fickle, and so enamored.

"She sounds made-up to me. She sound made-up to you?" Erica questioned the car's occupants. Robin and Steve remained mute while committing to the act of avoiding eye-contact with either Erica or Dustin.