030

THE MARRIAGE WAS DOOMED, that much was painfully obvious

THE MARRIAGE WAS DOOMED, that much was painfully obvious. It wasn't the known history of lies and fighting that made it apparent. No, it was a look in the eyes of the bride and groom as they stood before friends and family in the little chapel. There was a notable fear that went beyond usual wedding day jitters that rested behind their furrowed brows and stilted smiles. A fear of faults, resentments, and too many things still left unsaid.

Standing at the altar in her white gown accented in delicate lace, what a joke the purity of the color white was in that instance, the bride's hands shook noticeably. The groom in his ill-fitting suit dabbed at his damp forehead repeatedly, an action that couldn't be blamed on the heat of the room. Perhaps they didn't know one another well enough to be tied together for life. Perhaps they weren't ready to fully commit to every hardship that goes along with being bonded to someone eternally. Yet, the vows were said, even if not in complete earnest, and the deed was done.

The reception was equally stale, full of false congratulations as the guests tried to enjoy the evening. Tried to celebrate despite their misgivings that caused wayward looks to be shared amongst the crowd.

Ana couldn't tolerate the false niceties any longer, couldn't bare to be exposed to the fallaciousness of the situation any longer, and departed as soon as there was a lull in the festivities.

But, standing back inside her and Hopper's cabin, observing the worn out furniture littering the crapped space as a television buzzed mindlessly in the background, Ana wondered if good things just weren't built to withstand the test of time.

"Ana, you're back!" Came a squeal before said woman was knocked off balance by a smaller force attaching itself to her middle. Dropping the suitcase she'd been holding to the floor with an echoing thunk, Ana quickly returned the hug Eleven was so emphatically offering.

Exiting their bedroom to explore the source of El's unexpected outburst, Hopper found the two embraced in the middle of the living room, luggage long forgotten beside them, and the sight brought a small smile to his lips.

"You're home early," he noted, strolling over to join the two while throwing an arm over Ana's shoulder. Hopper proceeded to drop a kiss to her temple before asking, "so, how was your cousin's wedding?"

"A complete trainwreck," Ana answered with a slight, indifferent shrug after breaking away from the three-way hug.

"Shotgun marriages tend to be," was the only response Hopper had to offer at her apparent detachment. Even with the changing times, pregnant and unmarried was still an undesirable thing to be. Something her cousin seemed to understand, thus the impromptu vows before she'd have a chance to start showing. The math wouldn't add up, surely, but what would it matter by that point?

Desperate for a change of topic, Ana asked, "how were things here? Did you two manage alright without me for a few days?" The response her question received was less than enthusiastic.

El huffed and stomped back into her room, slamming the door shut with her mind. Hopper, in turn, rolled his eyes at the teenager's antics before also turning and retreating into their room. Clearly, things had not gone well in her absence, Ana thought before trailing after Hopper, whom she found seated on the edge of their bed, resting his elbows on his knees and head in hands.

"Things went that well then?" Ana questioned while leaning against the doorframe with crossed arms. Hopper responded to her inquiry, but the hands still covering his face muted and muffled the words. "Come again?" Ana pressed further with a raised eyebrow.

"They won't keep their hands off each other!" Hopper exclaimed in frustration, finally dropping his hands so Ana could fully hear him. She didn't have to ask to whom he was referring, but the bark of laughter that escaped her lips at his response earned Ana a sharp glare from across the room.

"Well, what would you like me to say?" Ana asked, slowly coming to sit next to him on the edge of the bed, "like father like daughter." His glare grew even sharper upon hearing her words and seeing the mocking smirk that rest upon Ana's lips.

"That's not remotely funny," Hopper said, pointing an accusatory finger in her direction, but Ana wasn't nearly done with her teasing yet.

"Speaking of shotgun weddings..." Ana started, but before she could even finish the sentence, she found herself pressed back onto the bed, with Hopper's face hovering just over hers.

"You're not as funny as you think, Ms. Thompson," Hopper assured as his breath gently fanned over her face from the close proximity. It was enough to draw goosebumps across her skin, and Ana had been without his touch for days while back home in Texas. If only Eleven wasn't a room away...

Still, a mischievous twinkle shone behind her eyes as she continued to tease him. "You're right, Chief Hopper. I'm actually hilarious."

However, the taunting air dissipated into one of silence between the two as they gazed into one another's eyes. Hopper's shoulders dropping most of their tension as Ana idly ran her fingers up and down the expanse of his back, and Ana leaned into his touch as Hopper ran his palm over her left cheek, before threading his fingers through the hair at the side of her head. He held her there, so firmly, as though attempting to convey that he was afraid she'd disappear again.

"We both missed you," Hopper whispered with gentle eyes, and Ana felt herself melting at his words.

"I missed you both, too," she conceded just as softly. The moment was far too sentimental and vulnerable for Ana's liking, though, and the roguish gleam quickly returned to her eyes. "Care to show me just how much you missed me?" Ana challenged.

It took no further goading on her part before Hopper surged forward and claimed her lower lip between his own.

An irritated El in the other room wouldn't be a concern if they could only remember to be quiet.