029

BY THE TIME Ana had finished reading and rereading the paper in her hands nearly a hundred times over, the parking lot was empty

Joyce and Hopper, along with their cars, were both gone. Music from the dance continued to play muted in the distance, but no one was around to see Ana crash back into reality.

Goddamn Hopper and his gall. How could he drop a bombshell like that on someone then bail? No, it wasn't cool, and it wasn't acceptable. So, Ana clambered into her truck, aggressively jamming her key into the ignition, and took off towards the cabin since it appeared to be his and Eleven's now permanent residence.

Hopper definitely had some warning regarding her impending arrival because the screech Ana's tires made as her car stopped short aside the house was deafening. The booming of her feet stomping up his front steps, too, gave him time to steel himself. They were going to be alone for the first time in ages, and there were no potential interruptions to deter this oncoming storm.

The door wasn't locked, and, honestly, even if it had been, Ana pushed it open with such force that Hopper was confident she could have broken the lock altogether.

As Ana made her dramatic, and excessively noisy entrance, Hopper tensed from his place behind the dining room table. Ana briefly wondered if he had chosen that spot intentionally to create a barrier between them should she start throwing punches or objects.

Stepping inside the house, Ana's march was halted by the door swinging back at her from the force with which it bounced off the adjacent wall. She had to throw her right arm out just in time to stop the wooden barrier from forcibly whacking her in the face. The scene caused a chuckle to leave Hopper's lips, and he realized too late that it probably wasn't best to laugh at the expense of an irate woman.

The slip up earned him a withering glare from Ana as she, in a now more calmly fashion, stepped further inside the house and slammed the offending door closed behind her. The air between them filled with electricity as they stared one another down.

"What the fuck?" Each syllable received emphasis as the words passed her lips. "Are you insane?"

Hopper wasn't sure exactly which indiscretion he was supposed to be justifying first, putting her name on the birth certificate or leaving her in the parking lot to process that information alone. "I thought-" He didn't get to explain exactly what it was he thought, on either regard, before she interrupted him while making a beeline for his present location.

Ana stopped just short of him on the other side of the table, leaving the obstruction graciously between them. "You thought, you though what exactly? That some grand gesture would win me back? That it would make me forget all the secrets and forgive all your lies?" She seethed, arms waving wildly as she expressed her numerous frustrations.

Hopper's mouth opened and closed several times, but no words were forming.

"Take off your pants," she barked, and the shift was so sudden that Hopper was sure he had misheard her.

"Wh-What?" He stuttered in confusion, brows downturned and baffled. Obviously, she hadn't said what he'd thought she'd said.

"I told you, to take off your pants," Ana repeated while stripping off her jacket and throwing it indiscriminately in the direction of the living room. Hopper still wasn't moving, though. He stood as still as a statue until Ana's blouse joined her jacket on the carpet. The image of her standing there, shirtless in his living room, finally coaxed Hopper into action, and he abandoned his spot behind the table just as Ana began undoing her skirt.

Halting her movements, Hopper pulled her towards him with a hand on each hip, covering her mouth with his own. It wasn't a sweet nor gentle kiss, it was hot and heavy, with teeth clashing and tongues battling for dominance.

"I'm sorry," Hopper said when he pulled away for air, one hand now tangled in the hair at the nape of her neck while the other remained on her hip, keeping their bodies close. "For everything."

"Shut up," Ana groaned without missing a beat. She began kissing down the column of his neck while desperately pawing at Hopper's flannel and shirt in an effort to remove the layers standing between them. "I don't wanna hear it right now."

There were so many other things she wanted to hear instead, like the sharp intake of breath when her teeth nipped at the skin above his collarbone, or his heavy pants in her ear when the flannel was throw to the floor along with her other discarded clothes.

Something akin to a growl escaped from Hopper's throat before Ana found herself pushed up against the very table that had been separating them moments before. She let out a startled gasp as the table's edge dug into her lower back, but the discomfort was only momentary. Gripping her hips in his large hands, Hopper lifted her up and onto the surface in a seated position, before continuing his assault on her lips.

As Ana reached for his belt, Hopper stopped her again, taking both her hands in his own. Time slowed down as he inspected their intertwined fingers, only labored exhaled filling the minuscule distance between them.

When his eyes finally tilted up to connect with hers, Ana swore she felt her heart clench. "You know I love you, right?" His question was punctuated with a well-placed kiss on the fingers of her left hand.

"I know, and I love you too," Ana answered, shaking one had loose to gently rank her fingernails through his beard, an action that caused Hopper to close his eyes and lean ever so slightly into her touch.

When his eyes reopened, there was a renewed lust in them that Ana didn't have enough time to process before Hopper was pouncing on her again, pushing her back onto the table, and finishing what her earlier request had started.

After the moans filling his trailer had died off, after they'd both been thoroughly spent, Hopper carried a weak-legged Ana to his bedroom where he gently placed her atop the bed and scooted in beside her, pulling the sheets up and over them both.

Out of reflex, Ana tucked herself into his side, placing her head on his shoulder, letting her hand rest on his chest, and entwining their legs.

His laughter reverberating against her cheek had Ana looking up at Hopper and raising an eyebrow in question. "The grand gesture worked then?" Boy, did he look smug, so Ana delivered a pinch to his side in an attempt to taper his self-satisfaction. Her efforts seemed in vain, though, because his response was to use the arm wrapped around Ana's shoulder to pull her close enough to him that Hopper could drop a kiss to her forehead, still chuckling to himself.

"You know, we've got a kid now. You realize your sex life is non-existent from here on out, right?" That seemed to wipe the smirk off Hopper's face and right onto Ana's.

"Hey, not non-existent," he tried to argue though he didn't seem confident.

"I spend all day with those buggers. They have a habit of popping up at the worst of times." They both shared a laugh at her assessment before the seriousness of their situation fell over them like a heavy fog.

"You sure you're okay with this?" Ana asked quietly while eyeing a spot on his bedroom wall. "It's a big step. I'd understand if-"

Hopper pulling her up onto the pillow beside him so they could be eye level cut Ana's sentiment short. "I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't okay with it." He spoke with such authority and finality that any dispute she had died on her tongue.

"Now, if the kids out of the house for the next few hours, then we better make use of the last of our alone time," Hopper surmised before rolling them over, so Ana was beneath him once again.