JOYCE

SOMEWHERE, just beyond view, a fly buzzed insistently in the dimly lit kitchen

Ana Thompson felt as though the unseen insect was mocking her. That the sound everyone assumed emanated from its wings flapping, was actually that of tiny snickers.

The lyrics to "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" by The Beatles kept playing in her head like the record sounded repeatedly from a revolving turntable in her mind.

'I need a fix 'cause I'm going down...'

Ana had tried to be cool and understanding, she really had, but she wasn't known for being particularly adept at either. More importantly, though, she had run out of patience.

She was sitting on the porch, smoking a cigarette when Hopper approached the cabin after spending another grueling day at the police station. That should have been the first indicator that something was off, Ana hardly ever smoked anymore, and there was a fresh pack sitting beside to her on the patio table.

"Is El home?" Hopper asked, exhaustion coating his voice. It had been a long day, and it was about to get even longer...he just didn't know it yet.

Ana didn't look at him immediately, instead, she stubbed out the remains of her old cigarette in favor of lighting a fresh one. "El is out with the party," she answered shortly. Her chain-smoking and lack of engagement was definitely the second warning.

Hopper hovered on the steps, noting her concerning behavior wearily, before opting against commenting on it. He intended to head inside to change out of his uniform when Ana's next statement paused his progress. "You know, I have extended family in Utah. You want me to call down there and inquire as to how the whole polygamy thing works?"

It took a few beats for the question to bounce around in Hopper's brain before he regained the ability to speak. "What're you on about now?" He asked with a heavy sigh.

Ana was looking at him then, and the light from her cigarette illuminated the searing glare she was offering in his direction. "You know, polygamy, the practice of having more than one romantic partner. Sorta seems like a thing you'd be into. Just figured I could do some inquiring on the matter, find out what we're getting into moving forward." She said it so naturally, as though they were discussing something as benign as the weather, and peered back off in the direction of the darkened woods.

They were on the cusp of an argument, Hopper could see that plain as day, and he could guess as to its origin. However, he wasn't going to engage in her provoking willingly. "I'm not interested in polygamy," he stated, affronted.

A mocking smirk took its place on Ana's lips, though in the darkness of the patio, it appeared more like a scowl. "You aren't?" She asked, chuckling humorlessly. "Does your other girlfriend know that?"