Chapter 1

AYNE'S POV

Feeling obliged, I entered the hall with my father and brother, where people gathered, dressed in long dazzling, compiled beaded dresses and black and white suits which don't suit my personality. I'd rather choose to be at home playing with my dogs or bothering my small yet cute cactus placed in my desk beside my cream beige colored pencil holder. 

I am Marianna Ynell Cantle, the eldest daughter of Jose Yan Cantle, one of the famous businessman in the country. They call me Ayne since my name is too long and hard to pronounce.

Why am I here by the way?

It's my father's birthday. Asian things always go their way. Celebrating occasions organized in big doubled high ceiling rooms, decorated with shining chandeliers and hanging alternating white and beige silk cloths, and even plain vases with white roses and red tulips placed in each round table. Rented in a hotel with invited famous and close people, which I don't even know. Well, because of my father's reputation, my family is known but not me.

And I'd rather not be. Why? Because of my ability through this deep ocean colored eye.

"Sister." my younger introverted brother, Matthew Yanty Cantle, loudly whispered through my side as my father walked to the stage.

"Why?" my irritated answer while staring at him furiously

"Until now, people are still staring at you. Can you just please remove that freaking sunglasses of yours? We are inside a building. There's no sun. Also, you are wearing a formal dress."

"Its been 20 years. And still not moved on? Plus, it's my style."

"Yeah, its been 20 years and people recognized you as the eldest daughter of a famous businessman that wears sunglasses and mask in all of public events."

I sighed. "You know what, let's stop this obscure conversation and just make this event pass. I am already exhausted."

"Exhausted? We have just been here for 20 mins., sister."

"Whatever." After a few seconds, I talked to him again, "You know what, I want to go outside. I need air."

Mat just gave me a slight nod as an answer while facing the stage and listening to my dad's speech.

I decided to stand up and lowered my head, walked silently towards the back door but was stunned. I am already few inches away from the door as I stopped when I heard my name, clearly.

"And I am announcing my daughter's engagement, Marianna Ynell Cantle." my dad proudly said. I slowly turned around, saw my dad's smile and his eyes printed on my place, also, everyone. Everyone is staring at me. I can see all their eyes. It makes my head hurt. Memories are going in through my head, hastily. It makes me weak.

"You never loved me!" a voice of a furious and crying married lady, wearing a fancy red dress.

"I wanna die. These fucking pressure." a teenager boy tells an unknown person through a phone.

Group of people in a golf course. Laughing loudly.

My dad was happily talking to another person while shaking hands.

Before I might make a scandalous scene due to fainting, Mat came and escorted me outside which I luckily thanked for.

~ ^-^ ~

In the V.I.P hotel room, I sat on the beige couch facing the night view of Manila bay, heavily breathing, and quickly removed my paraphernalias around my face while my brother hastily brought me a glass of water which I abruptly drank and slowly gained my pace of breathing.

But before I spoke, I heard the door open showing my dad's physical body together with his secretary, Zimone Hindalay.

"What was that dad?!" I clearly and loudly questioned and furiously faced him.

"Why?" he said smilingly

"Why?! What kind of answer is that? Okay, I'm only in my 20s and in this 21st century, you have the guts to call an engagement without even asking my permission. Wow! So, this is the way I should be right now!" I rapidly and annoyingly shouted while walking in front of him side by side, repeatedly.

"Ayne," Dad called my name, I calmly faced him. "It's already been decided. Also, don't you want to make your dad happy?"

"What about me? I also deserve happiness."

"You'll be happy, once you know him. I promise you." I angrily sat on the couch. "Also, this is my birthday, can you just give it to me as a gift?" I shockingly faced him with disbelief.

I can't believe this is happening in the 21st century. And right in front of me, my close person, my father. Ever since we were children, my father always cared about his company. Even after the funeral of my mother, he just left his responsibility as a father figure and went overseas to work on his project for the company.

As I stare at this glass window, I wish my mom is here beside me, consoling me for my dad's actions.