Chapter 20

HANS' POV

A smell coming from my kitchen woke me up. Feeling heavy, I looked around. Franco's legs and arms are on top of me.

"Already awake?", a voice coming from above. I looked up and saw Ayne. She immediately left after scanning us. Then, I gently moved Franco away from me.

"Where's the other one?", I curiously asked.

"You mean Lucas?", Anna answered.

So his name is Lucas... what's the relationship of between him and Ayne?

I nodded.

"He needs to go somewhere. That's he said.", Anna replied.

I walked through the kitchen and sat on the kitchen island, where all the food was placed and prepared. I saw how Ayne was busy dealing with her laptop and conversation with someone on her phone. Later, Anna went in front of me and served a plate of omelet with fried rice together with a toasted wheat bread topped with smashed avocado.

"Peace offering?", she added while smiling and trying to be cute.

I looked at her, disgusted, "Is this even edible?".

Anna shook her head, "Why would I make something inedible?".

"Well, just to ensure if you are in your senses now, or still drunk.", I sarcastically said.

She sighed, "I should've stopped drinking now. My habit of mine is really severe at this point, right, Ayne.".

Ayne, who is typing something in her laptop, just nodded with her straight face, "Since you are in your senses, I guess you can tell me all about your arranged engagement.".

“Oh, about that…”, silence and a sigh came from Anna, “Dad wanted to boost the sales of the company—”

“You know that it’s just temporary. You should’ve just come up with an alternative solution.”, Ayne said, serious.

“I don’t know. The sales are dropping, including the investors. If we come up with a new product, we have to spend. In short, we have to take the risk. We have two results, one, bankruptcy or, two, earn.”, she frustratingly said.

Ayne closed her laptop and looked at Anna serious, “What kind of solution do you want?”, she offered.

Anna looked at her, confused. Meanwhile, Ayne kept on staring at her.

“Choose between these. One, just to survive or two, make it last.”, then Ayne took a sip from her orange juice.

“What’s even the difference?”, Anna sarcastically said.

“One is temporary and the other is to make the business last but no guarantee.” Ayne replied.

“Then, I’ll choose the temporary.”, Anna answered.

“Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.”, Ayne who crossed her arms and leaned towards the back of her seat. “Money to spend is the problem. Then, reconstruct the organization.”

“What do you mean?”, I interrupted.

“She means that I need to fire people.”, Anna said sadly.

“That’s the world of business, Anna. You know that.”, then she put out her wallet and pulled out a business card. “Then, offer them work. This business is growing, they need workers. It’s up to them if they’ll take it or not. I know it might decrease the contributions for your company but….”, then she looked to Franco who is sleeping soundly, “I know you want to be with someone you dear.”, then stood up carrying her laptop and phone, walked towards the couch and picked up her bag, “I need to leave. I have an early meeting. Thanks for the breakfast.”, she said as she walked out of the unit.

Anna was left staring at her food, contemplating.

“I know what you are thinking.”, I started talking, “Being an adopted child, it's not easy to do what Ayne suggested.”

“She doesn't know.”, she sighed.

“Why did you not tell?”, I asked, worried.

“It’s my dark secret.”.

“But being a best friend for more than a decade… she doesn’t deserve it.”.

“I know. I am trying to find the right time to confess it to her but she’s still busy with her problems.”.

I sighed and silence remained after that.

~-_-~

Evening.

I came back from my work late and saw Anna… together with the guy yesterday named Lucas.

“What is he doing here?”, I murmured.

“Jealous?”, Anna whispered from my back. I looked back and saw she’s together with my friend, Franco.

“What's with all of you? Always together, huh, Franco?”, I stared at him, threatening.

He was mumbling that I can’t even understand when Anna suddenly pulled him away from me.

Am I even your friend?

I was walking towards them when a loud gun shot was heard from a far. All of the people starts running and screaming. I started to walk trying to find them but kept on bumping into other people. Until I saw them running towards me but nothing compares to the relieved I felt when I saw Ayne looking fine. Honestly, I can’t feel anything and even hear what they are saying when I felt something strange in my body. I felt so weak making me kneel out of nowhere.

But all I appreciate is how Ayne is so quick running towards me, held my hands and became my support.

“Don’t ever sleep.”, her threatening voice covered my fear... of losing her.

I forced myself to speak, trembling,  “I am glad you are safe…”.

I am sleepy, Ayne…