Chapter 4

When Clinton woke up the next morning, Reign was still not in bed. He checked his phone and she did reply, "Sorry, I didn't respond last night. I stayed at a friend's house last night." Clinton tried to call her but her phone with to voicemail.

He brushed it off and headed to the guest room to check on Jean. She was in the hallway admiring a picture on the wall.

"It's one of a kind," he tried to say before she finished his sentence. "From Ivory Mash's, spring collection," she said. "To me, spring represents warmth and beauty but in this painting, her spring is broken. That's while even though, the flowers are beautiful, she still painted them on the ground."

Clinton was stunned by her knowledge of paintings, "You know, she's a family friend of mine. Maybe one day, I could introduce you to her."

She was still staring at the picture but asked, "So, did we sleep together," Jean bluntly said.

Clinton frowned, "No, I would never take advantage of someone like that," he said.

"Okay, good. Can you take me to my car, please? I have somewhere I need to be," The sooner Jean could go home, the better.

The car ride was silent until they reached her car, "Can we keep this between us?" she asked. She didn't want the word to get out to his father about this incident.

"Yeah, of course."

"Thank you," she said with a slight smile and rushed to her car.

...

Jean's relationship with her grandparents always felt awkward even when their parents were alive. Her grandparents came from money and expected their son to marry someone from a wealthy family too. Not a local waitress, who already was pregnant with a child. While Jean was in college, they took Rue in since Jean was out of state but after she graduated they rarely visited them, except for on holidays. And sometimes, after Jean would beg them for days, they would help her cover bills.

Once Jean arrived to visit Rue, she felt their judgemental views as she stepped into their house. "Hi nana," Jean said kissing her on the cheek. "Is Rue ready to go?"

"Please sit, Rue isn't here right now, she didn't want to be in the house when I tell you this," she said.

"What's going on?" Jean asked joining her at the table.

"Rue wants to stay here with us permanently," she said.

"I know she didn't say that, you're putting things in her head," Jean insisted.

"Believe it, Jean. She's having a hard time at school because of your financial issues! You can't provide for her as we can. Don't deny her a better life as your parents did with you guys," her grandma said.

Jean shook her head when she heard the words, " I have custody of her!"

"We understand that. And we would prefer you to not make a big deal about this and just sign over your rights."

"Are you crazy!" Jean shouted.

"Lower your tone in my house child!" her grandma said pointing her finger in her face. This was too much for Jean, she wasn't going to give her rights to basically strangers.

"You've barely been involved in our lives and now you want to start being grandparents. You can't pick and choose! We've made it without you for these years, trust me, we'll be okay," Jean added.

"You're stubborn just like your mother!" she snapped. "Either sign over your rights or we'll fight you in court. And we both know this is going to end with Rue living with us. Stop being selfish because I'll rather spare the money for expenses for your sister."