Chapter 13

Even though Jean and Clinton were not talking as much. She still wanted to create a relationship with his mom. A child can never have too many people to love them. They went shopping for baby clothes together for a few hours. And Jean arrived back home at five. When she walked to her front door it was slightly open and she immediately called the police.

The cops came and investigated and noted the intruder didn't take anything. And they brushed it off as a maintenance person coming in. However, later on, that night, after her shower, she noticed all her panties were missing from the dresser.

It took her a while to fall asleep that night, she couldn't stop feeling uneasy. She wanted to call Clinton but her pride wouldn't let her.
...
"You look so beautiful when you're sleeping," Kadel said as he ran the gun across Jean's face. She has always been a light sleeper, so, the sound of his voice instantly woke her up. Her eyes opened with fear when she realized he was hovering over her. "Please, don't kill me!" she begged.

"Shhh, shhh," he placed the gun on her lips. "I'm not going to kill you. I just want to see your baby."

She shook her head in fear as he yanked the covers off of Jean's body. Kadel pulled her shirt up, "I can't believe that proper ass n*gga got you pregnant!"

"I'm sorry," she said as her voice trembled.

"It's okay baby. I know you didn't want this pregnancy. And since he took you from me, I have to take this from him!"

"Kadel, what does that mean!" He didn't answer, he placed his knees over her arms to stop her from fighting back. Kadel then placed his gun on the nightstand and then snatched the pillow from under her head. He started suffocating Jean until she fell unconscious.

He removed the pillow from her face and reached into his pocket to grab his pocket knife. Kadel started slicing Jean's stomach open. He then reached into the incision to take the baby out.

He placed the baby into Jean's arm and walked into the bathroom to grab a towel. As he put pressure on her wound, he called nine, one, one, "I'm at two Dove Creek Drive and a pregnant woman is bleeding out, it looks like her baby has been cut out of her!"

He pulled Jean's eyelids open to use face recognition to unlock her phone. Kadel laid down on the bed and snapped a photo of him with Jean and the baby. He searched for Clinton's number and sent the picture with a message that said, "You'll never have a family with her." When he heard the sirens, he curled next to Jean and placed the gun at his temple.

...

Clinton rushed to the front desk, "Excuse me, ma'am!"

"Yes," the receptionist said.

"I've been waiting for over two hours and still haven't heard much about Jean Pelton!"

"Are you family?" she asked.

"I'm her fiance!" he stated.

The receptionist sighed and started typing on the computer," Ms. Pelton is still in surgery!"

"And what about our baby!"

"I can't disclose that information, you would need to speak to the doctor," she said.

"You can't tell me if my child is alive or dead!" he shouted pounding both of his hands on the desk.

"I'm sorry," she answered.

"Clinton!" Rue's voice called from behind him. She ran into his arms and hugged him tightly. He could tell she had been crying the whole ride to the hospital.

"What happened to Jean?" Her grandma asked Clinton.

"Umm, apparently, her ex has been stalking her for months and he attacked her in her apartment," he answered.

The grandmother placed her hand over her mouth, "Oh my god! Did they at least catch him?"

Clinton cleared his throat, "He shot himself before the police came to the scene!"

"Are you the family of Jean Pelton?" The doctor said approaching them.

"Yes, I'm her fiance and this is her sister and grandmother!"

"Okay, well due to the amount of blood lost. Miss Pelton is in a state of hemorrhagic shock. And will need a blood transfusion. If she does not receive it in time, she could die."

Clinton rolled his sleeves up, "Okay, use me!" he insisted.

"Well, Jean's blood type is RH null. Which is a rare form of blood that less than a five hundred people have. I was hoping that one of her family members would also be the same blood type."

"Technically, I'm Jean's in-laws and the only family member she has is her sister and Rue is not old enough yet," the grandma answered.

"That's true but if you give consent we would be able to perform the transfusion!" the doctor said.

"No," she said sternly.

"Grandma!" Rue shrieked.

"You don't even want to check and see if they're a match?" Clinton huffed.

"I said no!" the grandma repeated.

"So, you'll rather let Jean die in there?" Clinton protested.

"Inevitably, it's the grandmother's choice but in the meantime, we will try our best to keep her stable until we find a donor. But I'm assuming you're the father of the child. I need to speak to you alone."

When they were out of sight, the doctors said, "Since the baby was only twenty-two weeks, there was a ten percent chance of survival. We did everything we could but I'm sorry to inform you that your baby didn't make it!"

Clinton looked at the doctor in disbelief as his heart sank.

"Can I see him?" Clinton asked.

"Yes, follow me!" he said as Clinton followed him to the hospital's mortuary. Clinton stood outside the door waiting on him to return.

When the door swung open he saw his son, he was wrapped in a blanket. He looked so perfect, his facial expression made Clinton see that he was at peace.

The doctor handed Clinton his child and the body was as big as both of his hands put together. When he looked into the baby's face, Clinton's body started shaking uncontrollably and tears filled his eyes.

The doctor placed his hand on Clinton's shoulders and said, "You're going to be okay!"

When Clinton returned, they moved Jean's family to a separate room. Clinton couldn't even look at Rue's grandma, he associated her with evil. He tried to call his mother and let her know about the situation but she didn't answer, so, he left her a voicemail.

When the doctor walked into the room, everyone's eyes were on him, "We were able to stop the bleeding but as I mentioned earlier, we're still in search of a blood donor. We have her on life support but if we leave her as she is then her chances of survival are slim to none," the doctor announced.

"I know, I don't know you but I'm not going to sit here while you let her sister die! Name your price, whatever you want, I'll make it happen," Clinton objected.

"I don't want your money!" she hissed. "I'm not about to risk Rue's life, she's already anemia!"

"I want to!" Rue cried. "She's my sister and I know she'll do it for me! If Jean dies. I'll hate you forever."