iv. THOMPSONS AND TRAILERS

CHAPTER FOUR
004. thompsons and trailers
LIVIN' ON THE EDGE
- AEROSMITH

 thompsons and trailersLIVIN' ON THE EDGE- AEROSMITH

"TAMALIKA THOMPSON, THAT IS enough!"

Tammy was often the sister who fought battles. At least, that was the role she overtook since the turn of the year. She was the sister who rejected a lot of her parents traditions, which the pair of lovers had dragged stubbornly from India during their emigration to America. She was the sister who recoiled each time they'd sit down to eat dinner from seven until nine at the very least; she was the one who complained about their strict rules and the utilitarian influences of their mother. She rejected their ideas of success as she tried her very best to pursue her art, and on this particular afternoon, Tammy was repulsed by the idea of missing the big game.

It was important to note, that neither of the sisters were fans of basketball.

From her bedroom, Addie could hear every word of her sister's battle against their mother. Their voices shook the house so severely in the familiar earthquake of Thompson disagreement, that even with music playing, she could make out the revised version of an argument as old as the twins themselves. Now granted, last year she was often a keen watcher of her sister's efforts to break the bond of her parent's will, but she no longer had many reasons to spectate the war between her mother and America's influence. She'd grown sour to school events; she'd grown tired of the stares and expectations from every single one of her most enjoyed past times.

While her room was a homage to Hawkin's summers and school events, the girl herself had become a traitor to the work of her younger self.

13 year old Adelade, with her curly hair and poorly accessorised clothes, would've ripped the sweat pants right out of her wardrobe the second Addie went to school. She would've almost exploded when she realised the girl rarely wore the makeup she'd hidden so well in the bottom of her wardrobe - hell, 13 year old Addie would've bullied the living shit out of her older self. That was just who she was.

Who she had to be.

Unlike her sister, Adelade had always been more acutely aware of the family's differences in Hawkins. Nobody really mentioned it to her anymore — not that they ever really did to Tammy to begin with — besides the odd jab from her friends, but her memories of elementary had left very little to be forgotten. Her namesake was damaged by her early years, as was her family's before she was even born. This fact tugged away the family history that once decorated Addie's bedroom walls, and forced the clothes she used to admire so greatly under her bed. Instead, the odd day trip with her friends replaced it; as did her bookcase full of books she'd never read, and pictures she wanted to hide.

Among them, were the few pictures she had with Tommy, and the growing collection of group activities she wished to forget

What that meant, was that Addie wouldn't ally with her sister to fight their mother, and so the pair wouldn't make the basketball game. Depsite the spaces on her wall for the pictures, she was utterly exhausted of having to force the moments that bragged to her guests when they entered her room. Since her disaster of a summer, she had no reason to hang them anymore. Nobody would see them.