viii. CABIN IN THE WOOD

CHAPTER EIGHT
008. cabin in the woods
JUMP- VAN HALEN

 cabin in the woodsJUMP- VAN HALEN

ONE NIGHT HAD MADDENED Hawkins. The world was spinning off it's axis; the people had changed irreversibly in such a short amount of time that there was barely any freedom to analyse them, besides the most obvious among the town's shrinking populous. The types like Jason Carver, who screamed a haunting tribute to Chrissy Cunningham that reverted back into them through anger. And the type like Adelade Thompson, who despite her own rules, refused to pick up the call from her boyfriend as she too came to terms with another death.

It wasn't entirely pretty; Steve, Robin, Max and Dustin did their best to leave the girl to herself, even allowing her to man a phone in an attempt to stop her from peeling every single layer of skin from her fingertips. They did their best to include her in their mystery - with an ounce of respect that hid behind the group's hostilities to the girl - until she excused herself to smoke outside. Then, and only then, did she let herself collapse into the puddle of familiar despiar that had been held away by the remaining whisker of hope for her friends.

It wasn't a pretty sight. It was filled with dried sobs, stained cheeks and the bundles of hair she ripped from her scalp in a despirate attempt to feel an ounce of what Chrissy must've felt. She wanted it all; the pain, the fear, the torment. She wanted to take it away from the cheerleader who she shared only a few intimate conversations with, just to take the guilt away. The guilt of being a survivor once more, only due to the strictness of her family.

Chrissy was nothing more than a kind face to Adelade for the majority of their time together. She hated her for a while, as she cozied up to Heather's ex after the month of her funeral, but even that wasn't enough to stop the girl's sweet disposition from rooting inside Adelade's heart. She cared for all her friends differently - Chrissy was a maternal care, from which she bonded over their shared lunch room habits and pressures from words which cut like knives.

Adelade could never imagine such a beautiful girl being so . . . mistreated by the opinions of others.

Heather had been adored for the same things that Chrissy seemed to despise about herself. Heather, who was one of the most enchanting people Adelade had ever met.

The door to the Family Video opened with a crash that startled Addie up from the pavement. The group sprinted towards the car without sharing a glance with their unintended plus one; none of them had any reason to check on the girl, or even call her name to explain where it was they were heading in such a rush. In fact, Steve, Dustin and Max had already opened the doors to the car by the time Robin seemed to remember their promise to the old queen of Hawkins.

When she remembered, her eyes became as wide as saucers.

"Shit- Adelade!" Her name felt awkward coming from Robin's mouth.

She grimaced at how very loudly she'd shouted, especially when Addie walked from the other side of the car. It was obvious she'd been crying - Robin tried her best to ignore the blood and small clumps of curly black hair that she tried to throw to the wind when the two met eyes, only succeeding in parts. While she was no where near as put together, there was still an air around the girl that left Robin unable to speak to her directly.